Oh Yes She Did! Grrrrr!

Decorating By sadsmile Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm by sadsmile

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #91 of 102

OK, Sadsmile, first of all your cakes are gorgeous and that hat box cake is nothing less than SPECTACULAR!!!

Ignore the comments from your aunt and do the best, most beautiful cake you can for your dear grandmother - four tiers, gorgeous flowers and lace, filigree, stringwork, handpainting - GO FOR IT!!!

It's not your aunt's place to tell you or anyone else what to make, especially when it comes to a special birthday cake. And we all wanna see pictures of that gorgeous cake when you get it finished!! icon_biggrin.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #92 of 102

Well said, Varika thumbs_up.gif

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #93 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Well said, Varika thumbs_up.gif

I agree.

The message from the Aunt, was for Sarahs mother to tell her that Sarah could make a cake if she wanted but her cake last time was wasteful (therefore showing an unappreciative attitude).

What does it matter if Sarahs mother passed on the message verbally or by forwarding the email? The aunt wanted that message passed on. It is not Sarahs mothers responsibility to "sugar-coat" the aunts words.....

I think it is the aunts personal opinion that Sarahs cake was wasteful.......she obviously does not recognise the huge amount of loving effort and time spent on making Nannys cake beautiful. Sarah valued her Nanny enough to go to these lengths, and that is Sarahs decision to make.

If you are asking for a cake to be made, and you are not paying for it, and it is not for you, do not impose conditions, IMO.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #94 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia77

What does it matter if Sarahs mother passed on the message verbally or by forwarding the email? The aunt wanted that message passed on. It is not Sarahs mothers responsibility to "sugar-coat" the aunts words.....

I vote for NOT blaming this whole thing on Sarah's mom! icon_mad.gif

Somebody wants to "dis my daughter", you can bet your a$$ I'm going to pass it on and I'm not sugar coating it! Oh, and that's AFTER I tell 'em where they can shove their opinion!

If you don't want it repeated ... dont' say it ... especially to her MOM!!!!!

I'm just feeling real "mom-mode" right now. (I think I miss my kid ... she went to FLA with her sister & family for 10 whole days! Dont' tell her I miss her tho'......)

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:32am
post #95 of 102

I think I'm with the small handful saying (a) mom shouldn't have forwarded that if she knew you'd find it offensive and (b) I guess I don't think it's all that offensive.

Without knowing what Aunty meant by it, I can't run around screaming "what a hurtful bitch".

Did Aunt mean "it seems excessive to put all that time into something to be eaten"? Did she mean "no one ate the fondant, so why did she bother?" Did she mean "it was too fancy for a homey family party"?

there are lots of things she could have meant, none of them meant to be offensive.

Lots of people think it's strange that I put hours into icing cakes or cupcakes - and that's fine. I think it's a waste of time to go skiing, or watch hours of sitcoms or listen to the Jonas Brothers. I think it's strange that people will pay money to watch other people beat each other up - or even more so, that people participate. Doesn't mean that I'm being rude when I say "don't bother buying me a ski pass, I'll meet you at the lodge for cocoa".

Y'know?

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #96 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianChick

there are lots of things she could have meant, none of them meant to be offensive.

Lots of people think it's strange that I put hours into icing cakes or cupcakes - and that's fine. I think it's a waste of time to go skiing, or watch hours of sitcoms or listen to the Jonas Brothers. I think it's strange that people will pay money to watch other people beat each other up - or even more so, that people participate. Doesn't mean that I'm being rude when I say "don't bother buying me a ski pass, I'll meet you at the lodge for cocoa".

Y'know?

There's a difference between, "don't bother buying me a ski pass" and "don't bother buying this third person a ski pass because I don't like skiing," though.

Does it really matter whether the aunt MEANT to be nasty or not? I don't think it does. The OP's feelings of hurt are still legitimate. Which is why I advocated taking auntie aside privately and talking to her, because I believe that if you never tell people that your feelings are hurt by their words, they will continue to hurt your feelings, ESPECIALLY if they're not doing it on purpose.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:20am
post #97 of 102
Quote:

I'd be making a cake styled like a bag of sugar saying "sweet Nanny" on it. With sugar piled on the sides, like it's opened and is pouring out. And a figurine of Nanny eating the sugar with a spoon. (If I had the talent, that is.... LOL).

Grrrrrrr I'd be flipping mad too if I were you!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHH!!!!!! awesome! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:23am
post #98 of 102

The cake was a gift. I think anytime someone judges someone else's gift-giving, they don't have pure, productive, innocent or helpful motives. I don't care how old they are, what their generation is or if their Uncle spilled sugar one day and was eaten by a lion while cleaning it up and then caused a sugar-hate complex to the Aunt. It wasn't a nice thing to say. In my (very cranky tonight) opinion.

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:11am
post #99 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Somebody wants to "dis my daughter", you can bet your a$$ I'm going to pass it on and I'm not sugar coating it! Oh, and that's AFTER I tell 'em where they can shove their opinion!

I'm just feeling real "mom-mode" right now. (I think I miss my kid ... she went to FLA with her sister & family for 10 whole days! Dont' tell her I miss her tho'......)

Agree 100%!

(Sorry you're missing your daughter icon_sad.gif )

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:04pm
post #100 of 102
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Agree 100%!

(Sorry you're missing your daughter icon_sad.gif )

YA! Me,too! AND everybody keeps forgetting the aunt said "TELL niece not to make fancy cake; it's a waste of sugar". So Mom relayed the message, like aunt asked her to.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #101 of 102

I think the comment about the "veg baked beans" says it all icon_surprised.gif
Sounds like she really watches her own intake and has her own thoughts on healthy stuff. Just what I'm inferring from the dish and her other comments... The cake sounds beautiful; don't let one person's nazi approach to food steal your joy. I call them the "sugar nazis." icon_evil.gif My mom tends to that end w/ salt and sugar but we just tease her.
Everyone else will enjoy your work of art, especially your nana thumbs_up.gif

Mel Mc.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #102 of 102

I was and still am irked by the wording. But I think those of you who talked about post depression era and not wasting is probably more on track with My Aunt.

Aunt Nasty...ROFLMBO thats a funny one. She has always been nice to me. I am kind of the golden grandchild in the family and all my Aunts have alwasy been nice to me. Though my cousin who is Aunt Nasty's daughter in law will just love that nic name. I can hear her laughing now. This Aunt has lived up to that name to my poor cousin.

ON Mother's Day another family member also brought dessert cake logs so there was more than enough and more than we needed. I might suggest pie or fresh fruit as an alternative desssert to my cake this time around. Better planning makes for less waste.

I will alwasy be looking over my shoulder for the sugar police now and feel as they may swoop down on me at any moment. And I am a grown woman and make up my own mind. I will make what I make and I will make it special.
My family always has been over bearing with their advice and it comes across more as orders from headquarters. But, they dont get their panties too much in a bunch when someone doesnt listen or follow their advice either. My mom says this Aunt has gotten more short spoken with age and it was just blunt and she most likely wouldnt have thought it sounded the way it did. My mom assured me she probably meant more as a dont go overboard and spend so much time because its just cake. But she doesnt understand like all of you do that it is a way to express my love. She is very practical and a bargain hunting, thrift store loving woman. You should see the stuff that makes its way to my house for me and my kids. Good gravy...LOL

I think I will try to make something that is more completely edible this time but still special. My family does have a good sense of humor and we have always given my Nanny Maxine cards from hallmark. I am not completely sold on it but a Crap Your Old cake with Maxine on the potty and maybe her dog sniffing around a mini B-day cake would sure be funny! I dont know though it might make my Nanny laugh so hard shed get heart palpatations. Maybe a flour pot or a really traditional cake. Maybe I could misspell it like wally world would. Hahaha I think Ill lose the gumpaste and fondant this time around and use white chocolate and choc Ganache so it wont seam like so much.

And really there isnt anything to the veggie baked beans. Im telling you she opens a can of Bushs Beans. And it was probably an attempt to let us know what kind because my family is allergic to milk, cheese yada yada.

Thanks for understanding guys! You always make me feel better! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%