How Do I Get Rid Of The Hard Powder Sugar Clumps In My Mmf?

Decorating By mommy_of_3_DDs Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm by rharris524

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 13

Or do I have to re-make the fondant if there are lumps? Help FAST!

Thanks so much!!!!

12 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 13

I always end up picking them out. And I have no idea what causes it. It's one of the reasons I rarely use MMF.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 13

Two ways that i know of.....Heating your MMF up in the microwave aprox 10 sec the knead it well again sometimes works.
But the best way is to sift your icing sugar before you make it!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 13

The only time I get clumps of powdered sugar is when I overheat the marshmallows (they're almost liquefied). And when I do that, the MMF is so clumpy that I usually start over.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 13

Just keep kneading. I usually find them with my fingers and smush them out, or I knead until they go away.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 13

I knead for a long time and I've never had an issue with clumps. I'd estimate that I knead a large batch for at least 20 minutes.

slcoutu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slcoutu Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 13

Lots of kneeding, a bit more water, and use sifted icing sugar.....at least that's what works for me!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 13

That is always why I sift the powdered sugar first - then it isn't an issue. You may be able to work them out with kneading, not sure it will work though.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 13

I used to sift the PS, but I got lazy and it annoyed me, so I stopped and it still works for me to just knead it.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 13

I always sift, but still usually get them. I also nuke the MM for 30 sec intervals, and finish stirring by hand 'til they're melted. I still think it's the humidity. That's my answer for all MMF problems! icon_lol.gif

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 13

Agree with Momma_ash and others: I usually sift my sugar....and then microwave the MMF for a few seconds before usage. Be careful when you microwave it as too many secs can melt it....I have a powerful microwave and hence dont heat for more than 5 to 7 secs....

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone... I heated it up, and kneaded the crap out of it adding more shortening, then a little more sifted powder sugar to get rid of the stickyness.... It worked!

Next time I will remember to sift before making MMF, or maybe I'll start ordering satin ice...

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_ash

Two ways that i know of.....Heating your MMF up in the microwave aprox 10 sec the knead it well again sometimes works.
But the best way is to sift your icing sugar before you make it!

This...If it is just a few, I'd try to pick them out and re-knead

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%