Only One Answer (Please?)

Decorating By Amymnn Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 4:43am by kansaswolf

Amymnn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 31

You can only pick one. Which of these, in your awesome-talented-cake-decorating opinion is by far, the best:

Place to buy cake supplies:

Fondant (either recipe or packaged):

Cake Recipe:

TV show about cake decorating:

Cake-making advice you received here at CC:

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation?

30 replies
Rylan Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 31

I honestly don't under the question about the "best opinion".

This is really confusing.

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 31

She wants to know about the awesome cake decorators on here opinions about each the the items, but she doesn't want each decorator to list several for each, just one...

Lenette Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 31

I'll bite, I am procrastinating in my work today anyway... icon_biggrin.gif

Best place to buy supplies: Country Kitchen Sweet Art, Indiana

Best fondant: chocopan

Best recipe: Still looking for it...

TV Show: I don't watch much television, I did enjoy the one episode of Cake Boss I saw recently

Advice from CC: most people are not as critical as we are and don't see the flaws that we do

Best Creation: I did a 3D Mater cake for my friend

Anyone else gonna play??

CanadianCakin Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: michaels (its all we have!)

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): MMF homemade

Cake Recipe: WASC!!!

TV show about cake decorating: Ace of Cakes

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: Be patient, it's a learning process, and don't fret if it's not perfect the first because our mistakes are edible!

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? ohhh The Pablo cake

endymion Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 31

Okay, I'll play.

Place to buy supplies: The local cake decorating shop (although they do not carry everything I need, it's nice to avoid paying shipping)

Fondant recipe: Michele Foster's (Homemade), Choco-pan (purchased)

Cake recipe: WASC (white) and my grandmother's chocolate (which has also been posted here)

TV show: Ace of Cakes. (If FN Challenge did cakes every week, this would be a tough choice)

Advice: Frosting plugs

Best creation: My son

FromScratch Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 31

I'll play too..

Place to buy supplies: Global Sugar Art, NY

Fondant: Massa Griuschuna or Michele Foster's if it's homemade

Cake Recipe: My tweaked scratch recipes that I use

TV Show about cake: Ace of Cakes because they make more interesting cakes than Cake Boss... though I do love the banter on tha show... reminds me of my own family... icon_lol.gif (and I agree with endymion... if the FN challenges were always cake that'd probably be my choice too)

Advice: To do what you love no matter what anyone has to say about it

Creation (in cake): The Littlest Pet Shop bobble-headed cake I made for my daughter's last birthday

CakesbyCindi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 31

1. Place to buy Supplies: Ideal Wedding and Events, Sioux Falls, SD

2. Fondant: Haven't made home made yet... but have used Satin Ice

3. Cake Recipe: WASC no doubt

4. TV Show: Amazing Wedding Cakes- they showcase more than one decorator(s)

5. Advice: Read everyones advice on CC

6. Best Creation: Hopefully my sons wedding cake I am making in August.... that is why I have been reading everything on CC

OK, I'm anal, I'm the only one who has number them so far, that or it's the fact that I am blonde and needed the numbers to remind me which one I was answering. HA!

jrkrayenhagen Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 31

Place to buy supplies: Country Kitchen Sweet Art all the way!

Best Fondant: Michele Foster's - DELICIOUS! I never liked the taste of fondant (and I've tried many diff recipes/brands) until I tried this recipe.

Best Recipe: WASC as the base and then changing it up with ice creams, creamers, extracts, yogurts, etc.

TV Show: I am digging cake boss lately but ultimately love the FN Challenges

Advice from CC: No one thing in particular - I just love the positive helpful atmosphere of this website!

Best Creation: I just did my first wedding cake and it turned out awesome. I still need to post pics of it... haven't done that yet.

Amymnn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_ash

what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? ohhh The Pablo cake

I love your Pablo cake! And all that banana sounds yummy. But now that backyardigans song is stuck in my head. icon_smile.gif

Amymnn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Advice: Creation (in cake): The Littlest Pet Shop bobble-headed cake I made for my daughter's last birthday

That is super cool! How did you do that? I love the cake too, it looks like a toy, can't even tell it's really cake.

Amymnn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I honestly don't under the question about the "best opinion".

This is really confusing.

Just wanted to ask some fun questions about preferences. I'm avoiding cleaning and grocery shopping.

chefjess819 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: the closest hobby store is about 2 hrs away, so i am a walmart shopper...lol

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): i'm not a fondant cover-er but for pieces, i've used wilton pkged

Cake Recipe: kentucky butter cake off of recipezaar.com

TV show about cake decorating: ace of cakes addict

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: cant pick just one, i have so many questions that always get great answers

the jimmie johnson nascar cake i did about a month ago

MyDiwa Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amymnn

GLOBAL SUGAR ART

SATIN ICE

Cake Recipe:

WASC

CAKE BOSS

GROW A BACKBONE!

A COPY OF HELIPOPS' DIAPER BAG CAKE

rharris524 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: Michael's (with coupons, of course)

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): MMF

Cake Recipe: Texas sheet cake

TV show about cake decorating: Challenge

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: how to get nice corners on my BC cakes

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? probably my DDs Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #16 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: I like su gar craft (I know a lot of people seem to have trouble with em', but I never have)

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): MFF

Cake Recipe: Classic White Pound Cake

TV show about cake decorating: Ace of Cakes

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: to buy Sugarshacks DVD's (Stacking and Perfecting Buttercream. I use SMBC, so I can't use all of her methods, but it helped in many areas)

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? Probably my son's first birthday cake. The one with the G monogram. So simple, so smooth, so cute.

JodieF Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:23pm
post #17 of 31

Best place to buy supplies: I like intotheoven.com Fast shipping, but then not too far away from me!

Fondant: Pettenice, and MMF for accents

Cake recipe: WVSC..no almond for me, and SMBC, to die for!

TV show: the FN Challenges

Cake advice: almost too much to list, but SPS comes to mind as something I only heard about here

Best cake: I was thrilled with my Trombone case cake, but also love the chocolate wrap that's my avatar.

Jodie

aundron Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #18 of 31

Oooo, I like stuff like this:

Place to buy cake supplies: SweetWise in Nashville, TN

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): Fondx

Cake Recipe: well, I don't have a fav; but, most of my customers order white almond.

TV show about cake decorating: Although it's not a cake show, I love "Whose Wedding Is It Anyway". I love seeing the different cakes on there.

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: anytime somebody helped me, it was great adivce!! icon_biggrin.gif

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? Probably my Krabby Patty cake.

soobsessedwithcake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #19 of 31

Best place to buy supplies: my local store, The Vanilla Bean, or Joanns/Michaels because of the coupons

Fondant: Definitely MMF with a little Wilton butter extract, my daughter loves it!

Cake recipe: WASC, especially the chocolate with oreo cookie buttercream

TV show: Food Network cake challenge

Cake advice: Never give up, always keep trying and keep learning! (I know a little cliche, but very true)

Best cake: I think I would have to go with one of my first cakes actually, the baby shower one, I just think the animals are so cute!

all4cake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #20 of 31

You can only pick one. Which of these, in your awesome-talented-cake-decorating opinion is by far, the best:

Place to buy cake supplies: Global Sugar Art

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): Pettinice

Cake Recipe: My yellow

TV show about cake decorating: FN cake Challenges

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: I didn't receive it...it was there and I took it...from Nchanted1 recently...

"There's no glory or pleasure in being the cheapest. Be the best!"

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? It would have to be my Mother's most recent bd cake...for reasons leading up to its' completion

Bellatheball Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #21 of 31

Just purchased from Global Sugar Art which was fun. Lots of variety. Good prices on fondant.

Not sure. I loathe MMF and Wilton. I have a shipment of Satin Ice and Chocopan coming today! Woohoo.

Cake Recipe:
Anne Byrn's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough cake which I make (minus the cookie dough) for every yellow cake I've made.

Challenge.

Not advice the but the endless creativity is amazing.

I made a shoe box cake with a gumpaste shoe that I loved. It only brought in $50 at an auction though. Bummer.

jammjenks Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #22 of 31

place to buy cake supplies: Hobby Lobby

Fondant: Satin Ice

Cake recipe: WASC

TV show about cake decorating: Challenges

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: the Melvira method

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? up until now it may be my NASCAR spiral carved cake. Hopefully my DD's b-day cake will trump it this weekend! (photo to come...)

KathyTW Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #23 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: Carolyn's Cakes (Spokane, WA) The only place within a 3 hour drive.

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): Michelle Foster's Fondant all the way!

Cake Recipe: I don't have one (yet)...too many to choose from!

TV show about cake decorating: Challenges (I really wanted to like Cake Boss better but it is too staged and too short)

Cake-making advice: every single bit here on CC, I couldn't be doing this without it

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? My sweet sixteen 2-tier with daisies

kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #24 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: Don't buy supplies anymore......IF I do it's Micheal's or Hobby Lobby.

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): Have used Wilton and Pattenice

Cake Recipe: Of course it's my *original* WASC - in ANY flavoricon_smile.gif

TV show about cake decorating: Food network challenges

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: all of it.

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? Out of the 1000s I have made it is almost impossible to pick just ONE! I guess this might be it:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=84663

Win Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #25 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: Global Sugar Art (but if I could have a second answer Country Kitchen Sweet Art would run right with them.)

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant

Cake Recipe: Darn Good Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor

TV show about cake decorating: Right now, Buddy in Cake Boss(not the software) on TLC

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: Tonedna's Rose Tutorial

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1327392

all4cake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:46pm
post #26 of 31

Win, that cake is incredibly gorgeous! Now that I seen it, it's one of my favorites too!

rezzygirl Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #27 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: CountryKitchensa.com

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): Don't use it much (I'm a bc girl), but when I do it's Satin Ice.

Cake Recipe: Tweaked version of WASC

TV show about cake decorating: FN Challenges

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: Don't undervalue & undercharge for my skills.

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? Prolly my cake with BC roses http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=407823 . It was for a friend of mine @ church and was really the first one that got recognition and got people coming to me for paid cakes.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #28 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: just locally so it probably wouldn't be any help to you

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): Homemade MMF from pegW at what's cooking america

Cake Recipe: WASC variations...my personal favorite is bourbon pecan

TV show about cake decorating: don't watch tv

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: leave the dowels pushed partway into the cake so that you can get your fingers out from underneath the top tier

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1258148

indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #29 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: Ms. B's Sweet Supply in Speedway Indiana (real close to the Indy 500 track!). She has absolutely EVERYTHING i ever need and if she doesn't have it, she can get it for me in a few days.

Fondant (either recipe or packaged): Choco-Pan (which, by the way, was invented by an Indianapolis woman!)

Cake Recipe: I'm a mix baker, but I have a dang good coffee cake recipe!

TV show about cake decorating: Cake Challenges

Cake-making advice you received here at CC: Melvira's Method hands down!!!

And finally, what (so far) has been, in your opinion, your best creation? My M&M cake because it was really the first cake that I actually "designed".

PennieK Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:20am
post #30 of 31

Place to buy cake supplies: BV Stationary- they are less than a block away from where I live.

Fondant: Rhonda's ultimate MMF

Cake Recipe: the Orange Grove cake from The Cake Book

TV show: Food Network cake challenges

Cake advice: using a flower nail when baking

Best Creation: my breast cancer carousel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%