Help!!! Having Trouble With Fondant And Cutters

Decorating By vnm42101 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 4:15pm by Cake4ever

vnm42101 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 8

When I use cutters (either the metal or plastic) on fondant I always end up with little frayed pieces on my edges that I then have to trim with an exacto knife. I have tried everything from using corn starch/powder sugar or crisco on the cutters, letting the fondant dry a bit, used fondant/gumpaste mix. But everything I do still gives me the frayed edges. Normally it is not a problem since I don't do many cakes but in a month I am making the wedding favors for my cousin and have to make about 85 roses and way too many to count Hydrangeas. If I have to cut them and then use and exacto knife to trim, I figure I should start preparing them now and if I skip sleep and my full time job I should be done with them by the wedding. Please Help!!!! There has to be something I am doing wrong!!!!

Sorry it was so long.

7 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 8

I'll give you a bump.

lilboo529 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 8

i dont know if you have tried this but when i cut stuff with a cookie cutter i usually press it down and and shake it back a forth a little and it usually works for me....hth

LynnZClaire Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 8

I'm going to try, best I can, to explain what I do (I had that problem too, I'm a newbie). Use the cookie cutter to press down into the fondant, then when you pick the cutter up, try and keep the cut out piece inside the cutter, so you pick the cutter up with the fondant cutout. Then take your finger and rub around the edges of the cutter (on the bottom where the fondant is stuck to) this should help rub those edges off, then I take my finger and lightly lightly lightly press the fondant shape out of the cutter. HTH and hope I didn't just confuse the heck out of you, lol.

Lisabellemarie Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 8

That's what I do too, and it makes a big difference. If for some reason the fondant doesn't stick in the cutter, then I try shaking it a little, but if worse comes to worse, I just squish it back in and re-roll. So, any tips besides these would be a big help to me too!!

jardot22 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 8

One thing you can also do is turn the cutter upside down, place the fondant on top of the cutter, then use your rolling pin to press down and roll back and forth a few times until your shape is completely cut. Have you tried rubbing some crisco on the fondant before you cut the shape out of it?

vnm42101 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for your replies. I've tried the "shaking the cutter" thing while pressing down. The problem is that the flower cutters I use are usually small and when I do this it distorts the shape of the flower. I also tried putting the fondant on top of the cutter and using the rolling pin but again since it was a small cutter it was just ackward. I haven't tried putting Crisco on the fondant, I'll try that tonight.

Thank you again.

Cake4ever Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 8

I was taught in gumpaste class to cut out the flower petal by pressing on the board, lift it up and hopefully the cutout will still be in the cutter, use your finger to finish pressing it out. Just rub your fingers all over the edges and that should completely get rid of the frayed edges. Shaking the cutter can help also, but sometimes it distorts the cut item. Just depends on what you are cutting out and the cutter.

I have read about using super fine sand paper to rub off the frayed edges of dried completed flowers. This was in an old gumpaste book. I have not tried this.

Also something I just thought of, make sure you have kneaded the gumpaste really well and warmed it up in your hands before rolling it out. Whenever I seem to have issues in class, my teacher tells me to start over and knead the gumpaste well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%