Best Fbct Recipe

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 21 Aug 2014 , 9:46pm by Candice0402

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 10

Any advice on a FBCT recipe. I have done it once (used the recipe off the tutorial), and had NO luck getting it off the wax paper. I have to do one today, so any advice would be VERY helpful. Also what do you use the "thin down" the BC?

9 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 10

I just read on another thread not to use wax paper but to use plastic wrap. then someone elese said to spray with pam or something like that. I have only tried fbct once and they didn't turn out so great. but there are alot of people that do a great job on them. hth icon_smile.gif

farmersbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersbell Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 10

I've tried it several times and found that BC "Does Not" work. It has to have butter in it so that it will get firm. I used Parchment paper with a real butter BC and then it worked beautifully! If I remember correctly, I also read somewhere that you shouldn't use the corn syrup to thin it out because that will keep it from firming up as well.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, I spray my wax paper at a distance...with alittle PAM...so that my B/C doesnt stick to the paper....thats how I did my Boxer, and my Horse cake in my photo.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 10

I do them all the time on wax paper with no problem. I use sugarshack's buttercream (no butter in this recipe) OR Wilton Snow White Buttercream - no butter in this recipe either (recipe included with Wilton's Meringue Powder). I've even done one with the Decorator's Chocolate Buttercream (recipe on CC).
I actually make the entire top of my cake as the transfer. I use two pieces of cardboard the exact size as the top of my cake and lay strips of icing over the whole board, then cover with the other piece of cardboard covered with wax paper. Then freeze - I do mine a couple of days in advance. Then flip the whole "top" onto my cake. Let it sit there for a few minutes, then it will soften a little. At this point it's too sticky to touch, but after a few more minutes it will crust enough to smooth with a Viva paper towel.
Good luck!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 10

I do FBCT all the time, I use the reg frosting (all shortening recipe). But I pipe it on those sheets that are used for reports. I think they are report covers, they have a pocket to put picture in. Put it on a piece of small card board. It is flexible and peels right off the transfer. I usually let them stay in the freezer 12-24 hours to freeze hard. Work fast with it and take right out of freezer and put on cake.

AfordRN Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 10

I always make SS icing, so maybe I'll make 2 just to be safe, one with SS and the other with the tutorial icing. Think piping gel would work better to thin it?? What size tip do you use to trace the outline? 8-9, 12?

AfordRN Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 10

I'm so excited! My FBCT came right off the waxed paper. I used the recipe in the tutorial, but sprayed the paper with Pam first. I did notice the colored in areas show some "piping lines" but I didn't thin down the BC....didn't know what to use for sure. Anyway I'll completely satisfied and will definantly try this again. Here is the picture of the transfer. GO VIKINGS!
LL

catcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catcreations Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 10

Nice.... I have to do one next May for their schools promotion and we are Vikings too.

Candice0402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice0402 Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 10

AWhat was the recipe that you used? I have tried several different ones that left my fbct dry and brittle. I'm having trouble with getting the image smooth also with out it showing the piping lines:( maybe your recipe is just what I need to try this again. Thanks in advance

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%