Tips On Using Fresh Strawberries As Decoration?

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 5

I had a client order a cake from me for Saturday and she wants fresh strawberries on top of the cake (laying right on the buttercream, I suppose) in the shape of a heart. Inside the heart, she wants "Happy Birthday Mary". The cake was actually ordered thru the restaurant I work with...so I never talked to the customer directly. I told the restaurant owner that strawberries weep, and that I could have a red runny mess on top of that cake by the time they serve it. She said "trust me, they won't care". But I care!

Any tips on using fresh strawberries as decoration on top of a cake? Should I leave the hulls on, or cut them off?

Thanks!

4 replies
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 5

Leave the hulls on - prettier presetation. DO NOT wash them - gently wipe each berry with a damp paper towel - if you wash them, I guarantee you will have weeping red mess on your cake. Just brushing them with the damp towel will clean them and they will stay pretty a LOT longer that way.

Rylan Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 5

Make sure the hulls look nice. I would put the strawberries on the day it will be set up. That way the Strawberries are still fresh. Make sure the strawberries are dry as well.

Lisabellemarie Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 5

Do you think it would be OK to dip them in chocolate first? I'm not sure if it would go with your planned design/flavor, but that always looks gorgeous, tastes delicious, and helps with the weeping strawberry issue. If the restaurant owner thinks the customer wouldn't care about the weeping, then maybe they wouldn't be upset about the chocolate.

cakedesigner59 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, everyone. I will use the damp paper towel trick and leave the hulls on. Lisa, they definitely didn't want them dipped in chocolate. I asked about that. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%