Removing Color Flow From Paper

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm by RachieRach

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:35am
post #1 of 7

Hello,
This is my first post and I hope you all can help me. What's the easiet way to remove 2 in letters made using the color flow method, from parchment paper without them breaking? I outlined my letters today, and will fill them in tomorrow morning. I was planning on putting them on my cake on Saturday. I'm not sure what's the easiet way to enure they won't break.

TIA

6 replies
Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 7

Slide the paper to the edge of a table/counter then gently pull the paper downward as you slide the letter off the edge of the table/counter. The letter will continue to go horizontal and the paper will drop down. It's hard to describe this technique but I hope this helps.

I usually put each letter on a separate sheet of paper which makes it easier to slide off the table and release the letter. Then let it dry on some cotton or foam to ensure that the backside is very, very dry. You should have no problems but I do recommend that you make extra letters in case of breakage. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif You can do it!

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:48am
post #3 of 7

I've only done them on wax paper but parchment should work as well. Once you are positive the image is dry, put the paper on the edge of a table. With one hand on the image, pull the paper slowly down the side of the table (like a 90 degree angle where you are pulling the paper down toward the floor). The image should separate from the parchment and stay level with the table. Sorry realize I'm better at showing than explaining.

HTH.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Hello,
This is my first post and I hope you all can help me. What's the easiet way to remove 2 in letters made using the color flow method, from parchment paper without them breaking? TIA

Hi Tia. I see this is your first post so welcome to CC.

I've done a lot of color flow items (and broken a lot - haa). The Diego decorations on my Diego cake in my photo's were all done with RI color flow. I've done it on parchment and waxed paper and both work well and Cookie4 and RachieRach's technique is how I do it. I will also tell you that I saw a tip on CC once and I started piping on plastic wrap (I use stretch-tite) and have never had any stick (which I've had happen on the others). The decorations almost slide off on their own. Give it a try.

I also flip mine over once they are dried on one side just to make sure they dry completely on the other side.

Have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 7

I wish I could track down and re-educate every person who says to use wax paper or parchment. Plastic cling wrap (Saran) is by far the best surface for piping RI pieces on. They virtually fall right off. I know lots of people claim to have great success using wax paper, just as I did for many years. But I've not heard of a single convert to plastic wrap go back to using wax or parchment.

Whew... sorry for the rant. It's just frustrating to see this come up so many times. Re-education is a dirty business. icon_smile.gif

BTW, if you're piping freehand designs, Reynolds no-stick foil is an excellent surface to pipe on. In fact, sometimes it's a little TOO slippery! Gotta take care not to let your dried pieces slide off!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for all the tips!! This is my first cake from a "paying" customer icon_smile.gif I'm so excited, yet have such butterflies, wish me luck!

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 7

LOL @ DianeLM. unfortunately I learned in a wilton class so unless you can get to all the wilton instructors.... =)

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try it.

Good Luck Kellbella.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%