Banana Flavored Cake

Baking By chocomama Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm by bonniebakes

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 8

I have a client who doesn't really want a banana cake, but she wants a cake with a light banana flavor. Is there such a thing as banana extract?

7 replies
abruntz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abruntz Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 8

Hmm You might want to check lorannes flavoring they might have that or McCormick might have one as well. You could always try to do a white cake with a box of instant pudding in the mix that might work as well....or maybe just half the box that way its light not a heavy flavoring.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 8

I buy banana extract from my cake store, but it might be too strong of a banana flavor. I also have mashed up 2 or 3 bananas and put them in the cake batter with a little extra liquid and that will give it a nice banana flavor.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruntz

Hmm You might want to check lorannes flavoring they might have that or McCormick might have one as well. You could always try to do a white cake with a box of instant pudding in the mix that might work as well....or maybe just half the box that way its light not a heavy flavoring.

I make my yellow cakes with French Vanilla pudding so maybe I could just substitute one for the other.

Thanks, everyone!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #5 of 8

i love banana and use the banana extract and the banana cream oil by lorann frequently. i also like real banana cake (confetti cakes is absolutley out of this world good) but i have thought about doing a lighter "banana flavored" cake too.

here are two recipes off the gourmet thread (variations on the WASC) that i copied to play with (but have not yet). you could probably leave out the real bananas and just rely on the flavoring you add.

Banana *MacsMom
1 box banana cake mix
1 box white cake mix 6 eggs
2 ¼ c cake flour
2 1/3 c sugar
1 ½ t salt
1 t baking soda
1 pkg banana pudding mix
2 (6oz) containers banana yogurt
1-1/3 c vanilla coffee creamer
1-1/3 c water
1 T vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 c butter, softened

Banana Cake - Michellers
2 - white cake mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 2/3 c half and half
1/4 c oil
2 tsp banana flavoring
2 tsp vanilla flavoring
2 boxes of banana pudding mix
2 c banana drinking yogurt
2 mashed bananas
6 eggs

i also think just adding the extract to your favorite white cake (with a little food color) might be a fine way to go...but i really do like the extract flavor and not everybody does...

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 8

What about using banana yogurt instead of sourcream.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 8

I use the McCormick brand banana oil from the grocery store. Just add a TEENY TINY bit until you get it to where you want it. I used a McCormick capful in 2 boxes of cake mix and it was REALLY banana, so that would probably be too much for your client.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 8

what about adding a package of banana pudding mix to the batter?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%