Crap! New Oven Sucks! Help!

Decorating By Annabakescakes Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm by Annabakescakes

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #1 of 4

Okay, I work for a caterer and I used a different oven tonight because the other one was being used. I had it set for 325, but it was way too hot. I peek at my cakes after 1/2 an hour and they are brown with a tough skin, but sloppy in the middle. I turned the oven down 25 degrees and baked til done, but the sides are crispy!! WHAT CAN I DO? I was sthinking of "shaving" them like toast with a butter knife. It is 4 tiers and cost at least $50 to bake.
Also, do I tell the customer and offer her a discount, of wait to see if she complains then give it to her? It is up to me because I just give the caterer a cut of my profits for the use of his kitchen, he doesn't pay me.
Thanks in advance!!

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:55am
post #2 of 4

I would just shave the cake, with a sharp knife take off all the crust. If its on the dry side use a wash on it. And unless its absolutely not savable it should be fine.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 4

Not much help this time, but lower the temp on that oven to 275 and put a pan of water in the bottom of it - that will help the next time (sounds like convection oven issues - get Indydebi's take on this one - she is a huge help!)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for the help, try the water thing next time. I'm also gonna bring my oven thermometer and see how off the dumb thing is. I scraped the crunchies off and put sugar water in a sprayer and doused the whole thing real good. Filling now.
I'll let you know if there are any complaints!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%