Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

Decorating By Sweettooth1120 Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm by Cathy26

Sweettooth1120 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 31

My family was visiting my mom around the time of my sons birthday. I explained to my son that I would make him a cake that we take to the nursing home my mom was at and we would all celebrate his bday there. I explained that i did not have all of my decorating supplies since we were 350 miles from home and it was just going to have to be a basic bday cake. I was going to have to throw it all together at my brothers house.

We were discussing flavors and he was torn between chocolate and vanilla So my husband said, "why not have both and just do a marble cake. "Yes, yes", he said "that is what I want, a marble cake."

So he helped me make the cake and he got to do the marble swirling. The next morning I was frosting it and he came in and said "ok, where is the fondant." I said there was not fondant and reminded him of our converstaion of the basic marble cake with chocolate frosting.

He said, "ahhh mom, if you dont have any fondant then how are you gonna make the marbles?"

I couldnt stop laughing and we had a lesson in cake talk.

30 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 31

My kids speak cake too icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif We went to Sams for the first time the other day and my 7 year old said, "Oh mom, they've got gumpaste sprays on their cakes!"

makeminepink Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 31

One time several years ago, I was attempting (and having a very hard time!) petit fours. My son asked what I was making and I said, "Oh honey, they're petit fours."-- I know I sounded exasperated because I was! He said, "No they're not Momma, they're good!" I thought for a minute. He thought I said, "Oh honey, they're pitiful!" Which they were!

Sweettooth1120 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 31

that is too cute. it is amazing what they pick up.

CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 31

My 4 1/2 year old daughter was playing with play doh the other day, and I asked her what she was making. She said, "oh, I'm just covering my cake with fondant." LOL!

kokopuff Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 31

I have become so obsessed with everything cake ,all the tv shows,books etc.,that it has rubbed off on my almost 3yr old.if she is changing channels on the tv I will ask her if she wants me to change it to her favorite cartoon or something she will tell me no,I want to watch cakes or if we go to wm she always has to look at the cake supplies with meand she always has to help me make my cakes.I feel like I am creating a monster,a cake monster that is but in a good way! icon_lol.gif

cakesbyshell Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:05am
post #7 of 31

I had a neighbor girl over showing her how to do some things so she could do her 4-h project and my 3 year old daughter was standing next to her saying, "that's not how my mom does it" with this little wrinkled nose. It was too cute!

jensenscakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:07am
post #8 of 31

I had to laugh my three year old came into the room in the middle of cake boss and asked to watch Thomas. I told him we were watching my show and he said "oh, no I don't want to watch another cake show." I was laughing so hard.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #9 of 31
Originally Posted by kokopuff

I have become so obsessed with everything cake ,all the tv shows,books etc.,that it has rubbed off on my almost 3yr old.if she is changing channels on the tv I will ask her if she wants me to change it to her favorite cartoon or something she will tell me no,I want to watch cakes or if we go to wm she always has to look at the cake supplies with meand she always has to help me make my cakes.I feel like I am creating a monster,a cake monster that is but in a good way! icon_lol.gif

My kids are like that too icon_biggrin.gif I let them help with as much as possible. When my oldest was turning 6, she made a couple hundred little fondant flowers to put on the cupcakes for her class.

ptanyer Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #10 of 31

There are no better memories than the ones we create with our children/grandchildren when working on something that we love to do with such a passion as cake decorating icon_smile.gif

Love all your stories!!!

cakelady31 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #11 of 31

It is pretty amazing what the little ones will pick up. My grandson who is almost 4 hangs out with me in the evenings while his mother works a nite shift. At this time of day I (we) work on many different cake projects. He know all about gumpaste and fondant. He plays with scraps of " play frosting" , has his own kitchen tools and apron. I call him my little apprentice! icon_lol.gif

sadsmile Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #12 of 31

My youngest is now two. She was on my lap when I got hooked in here and spent too much time looking at pictures. Of her first sentences a couple were; "Ook Cake", "Ooo cake, yumm yumm eat." and "Peedy cake mamma." yeah I know it is truely sad that cake monopolized her word learning. But she was soo happy looking at all of your pretty cakes. So it's all your fault!

chassidyg Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:21am
post #13 of 31

Sadsmile, my son started talking more when I got hooked on cc last year, he's picked up sooooooo many more words, & now when I make something that looks like crap, he says "pretty cake mama"...now his favorite thing to do is to get out plates and silverware when I'm almost done with a cake, and he would get so upset I made a pretty cake that he wouldnt get to eat. Since I usually have left over batter I bought the fat daddios 4in pans, and he gets a mini "pretty" cake also, so he gets out a little plate and fork it's so adorable! He's 2 now, he'll be 3 end of July, and he's been helping me get the supplies for his cake & cupcakes.

s_barnes76 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #14 of 31

One night my 5 yr old DD asked what we were going to watch on t.v. Before I could answer her, Ace of Cakes started coming on and she looked at me and said, "Oh, we're watching Cake Central." icon_biggrin.gif

MLand Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:43am
post #15 of 31

All the stories are cute, but I really like Sbarnes76! That is tooooo funny.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:44am
post #16 of 31

Those are such cute stories! Mine are all cake snobs now. icon_smile.gif Our small town grocery store just got a remodel so they've been offering all kinds of samples. We went in after our taekwondo class so we were all pretty hungry and happy to see samples! My kids gathered around a little tv tray sized stand and stared at the cake offerings. I asked if they weren't going to get one but they all just sighed and one of them said, "We know it isn't going to be as good as yours Mom!" Love those kids! icon_biggrin.gif

Because they all like to help decorate our policy on their birthday is I make whatever kind of cake/filling/frosting they want and put a base coat on it. Then I mix up a few colors of frosting and they get to decorate their own cake. They all love this tradition and I enjoy seeing what they come up with.

My kids also critique other cakes right along side me. icon_biggrin.gif

gscout73 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:04am
post #17 of 31
Originally Posted by s_barnes76

One night my 5 yr old DD asked what we were going to watch on t.v. Before I could answer her, Ace of Cakes started coming on and she looked at me and said, "Oh, we're watching Cake Central." icon_biggrin.gif

I like that!! The Cake Central channel... icon_cool.gifthumbs_up.gif

I took my clases right after my daughter was born, so she grew up with me doing cakes. So now (18yrs), anywhere we go, whether it is a store, ice cream shop, party, etc, and there is a cake, she critiques it... especially if it's a store. She'll start off with "how do they get away with trying to sell that??? then picks out the flaws.... at parties she'll whisper (if I'm there, if not, she'll text) "they should have ordered their cake from you." Gotta love her......

kokopuff Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #18 of 31

My oldest daughter and my two nieces recently went to a wedding and when they returned before I could ask them about it they all started telling me how awful the cake was,they thought it not only looked terrible but it tasted awful too,but the sad part is they were sitting at the table right beside the lady that made it voicing their opinions! icon_lol.gif I felt sorry for whomever she was but it was still funny!

jlynnw Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #19 of 31

I love it. This is the next generation of CC addicts. Of all things we can give our children is a passion to do what we love, do it of the highest skill, and make it taste as good as it looks. Whether they develop the skill for a hobby or a career, the memories will be so precious for all.

JCE62108 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #20 of 31

AAWWWW! I wonder if my son is going to turn out this way. Nothing would make me prouder than if I could share something I love with him! He is one on sunday.

I was so thrilled when I my hubby helped me with my son's cake today. He helped measure stuff and it was so nice to have him in the kitchen with me. If I have my hubby and my son by my side with every cake I would feel so proud.

jlynnw Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #21 of 31

That is awsome. That cake will be the best birthday cake ever! How many moms and dads make their babies cakes together? That just makes me smile knowing that a baby is that loved and has parents that love each other to spend that kind of time together for their child!

kayjess Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #22 of 31

You know, my kids have watched me do cakes so many times, it is old hat to them... they still tell me it looks great or offer ideas, but aren't entranced by it anymore.. (they are 12 & 15)... but it is so funny when their friends come over, because they are totally awed by it, and want to sit and watch and ask all sorts of questions...LOL... My one daughters friend was like "Why aren't you out here watching this??".. and my daughter was like.. I see it ALL THE TIME!!!

CookieD-oh Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #23 of 31

My 5-year old boy was helping me make a cake recently, and as we were watching the mixer spin around he said, "I think I'll make this when I'm a daddy." I hope his love of baking sticks with him! (Also, I tell my husband he should be proud that his boy wants to be a daddy when he grows up icon_wink.gif

ASimpleBaker Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:50pm
post #24 of 31

My daughter is two, and she loves to make small things with balls of fondant and then eat them. I was making my niece's cake this last weekend, and I was rolling out the black Mickey ears. I offered her a little piece I had cut off the ears and my daughter looked at it and then said "No eat ears mommy, their for cousin lexy." She patiently waited until I had finished cutting and assembling the ears (and showed her) before she would accept a piece of the fondant. She told my friend that she helped mommy make lexy's cake. Got her hooked, line and sinker..muahhahaha icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

BitsnBites Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #25 of 31

I started decorating cookies when my son was 1 and a half. It got to the point that he would call cookies "Don't touch" instead of "Cookie". I felt bad and now that he is 2 I let him help out with the cakes. He likes making them, but he never ever eats them.

AverageMom Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #26 of 31

My daughter loves helping me decorate....when I let her! I feel bad, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and I like to do things my own way. She also loves watching cake shows with me, and looking through books and magazines.
My son has only one cake interest...tasting the frosting!

neelycharmed Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #27 of 31

too cute! reminds me on my nephew when he was younger...
my nephew would come over with a friend and watch me make a cake.. and his little friend never saw fondant before. My nephew Jared, was like shocked! he thought everyone had fondant in their house! then he told his friend that he could makes roses too(the roll up kind) I loved it!!
icon_smile.gif now he's too cool for that,lol

Bellatheball Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #28 of 31

I was making my daugther's third birthday cake (a 3D Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) and had to do some of the decorating the day of the party. Since our families all live 3.5 hours away, we had about 25 people in our house for the entire day. Anyway, half way through the final touches, I look up and see that 25 pairs of eyes are glued to the cake. That was my first real cake. Now my daughter can make flowers and roll simple shapes. She also covers "cakes" with "fondant" when playing with PlayDough.

pattycakesnj Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:11pm
post #29 of 31

My 4 year old daughter likes to watch Sharon Zambito's DVD with me on fondant and buttercream. The other day when I opened my new DVD that came in the mail, the topsy turvy one, my daughter said " oh goody, another cake lesson, can we watch it tonight?" I think she was more excited that me to get the dvd.

gscout73 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:48am
post #30 of 31

About the older children... are you kidding??? Mine are 7 years apart. While young, they had jobs including being in charge of watching the cake while in transport.....

When my son, who is very artistic, became a teen he became my creative consultant which is very important when considering making cakes for other kids. He at first didn't know it because I would be very subtle about it and just ask "can you take a quick look and tell me what you think about ...." he would help with color balance, themes, what was contemporary, too much or need a little more, and arranging the setup and photography. So when I got paid, I began to pay him a "consulting fee." Then when my daughter became a teen, she got to take over that roll. They got to put to practical and professional use what they were learning in school.

They loved being included in the process and learning that caking is more than recipes and tools, but so much more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%