Who Can Tell Me How To Use 2 Colors Of Bc In One Bag....

Decorating By Angela93 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm by dynee

Angela93 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #1 of 13

I'm in the middle of decorating a baptism cake and i want to make ivory roses with the tips of the petels pink..... i've seen lots of pics of this done, i just dont know how to do it!!!!! and i dont have enough frosting for experimenting at the momenticon_smile.gif anyone?

12 replies
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #2 of 13

To make just the tips a different color, I prefer to paint the inside of the bag. Dip a paintbrush into the gel/paste food coloring and paint a pretty thick stripe on the inside of the bag. Fill the bag with your regular icing. (Careful to avoid smearing, but it's not really a big deal.)

The trick is making sure your tip is put on the bag in the right position. You want the narrow side of the tip lined up centered with the painted on stripe. It may take a few squeezes for the stripe to show up.

I also don't FILL a bag with this method because the painted on stripe gets used up pretty quick (unless I'm just not painting it on thick enough). in my learning days, I'd end up with a lot of icing left in the bag but the color was used up. So small amounts at first.

maudabom Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:25am
post #3 of 13

You can also color a small amount of your bc the tip color and basically do the exact same thing as indydebi said, but instead of a paintbrush, I just use a butter knife to spread the colored icing up one side of the bag. The color will last the entire bagful, but as you pipe the color seems to spread so that more of the petal will have color on it, but you'll still have the same affect.

khkakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 13

If your going for a full two tone Ateco has a bag that is really 2 seperate bags combined. I've only seen them online for sale. They work pretty well.

bbmom Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 13

I'll add another option, there was a post a while back about someone using 2 of the plastic disposable bags, each filled with color and putting them both into one regular decorating bag.

misserica Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 13

bbmom, I was thinking the same thing. That "plug" method I found on CC would work for this. I will try to find the post but basically you wrap an amount of icing in a piece of saran wrap and leave one end open and drop it (open end first) into a piping bag. I bet this would work for two colors. I have tried it for one color and let me say what a difference it makes. A lot, a lot, less messy than the traditional filling of a bag.

misserica Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 13

Here is the thread I mentioned above. If it does not come out, its in a sticky at the top of the "How Do I" forum labeled "Newlywedsws frosting plug/Plastic Wrap method"

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-588591-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Lisabellemarie Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 13

khkakes - have you actually used the two-tone Ateco bags? I've seen them online and wondered how well they work. I make such a mess trying to put two colors into one bag, even with using the saran wrap method.

Angela93 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks everyone! i tried indydebi's tip last night, which it worked but the color came out too dark. the cake is ivory and light pink and the color gel is dark..... the flowers looked very nice but too dark for the cakeicon_smile.gif i'm going to try putting the 2 different frostings on seperate bags, then into one. less mess is always besticon_smile.gif thank you everyone!!!

jamiekwebb Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 13

here is a youtube video on two-toned frosting....

dynee Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 13

The plastic wrap method works really well for this. No need for the double icing bag thing. I have a picture of this that I just posted on another thread just this morning. For some reason, I can't get it to attach now.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=635689&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

khkakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 13

lisabellemarie: Yes I've used them to do two tone cupcakes and they work great. If you have a large container to support the bag while your filling it it makes it much easier. I used a tall skinny vase that I have. I never tried the saran wrap way - I'm on the messy side to start with and just saw too much room for a bigger mess!

dynee Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 13

OOOO khkakes,
You just gotta try it!! You'll never go back. I find it a whole lot LESS mess. For one thing when you pull the spent plug out of the icing bag and pop it in the trash, all that is left is a little icing in the coupler. And you can switch out colors in a snap. So much easier than cleaning the whole bag
Dynee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%