Need A Great Carrot Cake Recipe & Cream Cheese Icing

Baking By mommy2kids Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm by idgalpal

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 8

Hey all,
I am looking for a great recipe for carrot cake and also the cream cheese icing(both crusting or non crusting). It's for a 70 th birthday road of life cake. Any tried recipes will be appreciated! I saw a ton of them in recipes, but don't have a lot of time to try and find the best one. Thanks, your friend, Theresa

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 8

designmeacake.com

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 8

I went through this in February for a close friend's birthday. I tweaked recipes for about three weeks, making seven or eight cakes until I came up with what I believe is the best carrot cake recipe (for my tastes anyway). Everyone at the party said it was the best carrot cake they had ever had (but, really, knowing how hard I worked on it, what else would they say?). It has pineapple, walnuts and raisins in it; I know some don't like those things in their carrot cake, but if you are interested, let me know and I'll post the recipe. I would just go ahead and do it, but it will take some searching...I've been trying to get organized...but am willing to do so if it sounds like something you would be interested in.

delicity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicity Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #4 of 8

I tried this recipe and is very good. The cake is very moisture.

Carrot cake Deluxe:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/cake/carrot-cake-deluxe-recipe.html

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 8

I thought I posted this, but must have PM'd it to you instead. I'm such a newbie, lol. Just in case I was unsuccessful in getting it to you, I'll repost.

The recipe is a tweaked version of the "Best Carrot Cake Ever" recipes from Allrecipes submitted by Nan:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Carrot-Cake-Ever/Detail.aspx

I will asterisk what I've changed.

sugar (*1 cup brown and 1/2 cup white)
vanilla extract (*1 Tablespoon)
pineapple, drained (*put pineapple tidbits in food processor...which resulted in a better texture that was less stringy and didn't have the stiff edges - lol don't know how to describe that better)
cinnamon (*2 Tablespoons)

(*as soon as carrot mixture started to produce liquid, I stirred in raisins to allow them to plump).

(*I used three 10" pans and parchment paper).

(*brown/white sugar)

(*I lost track of the time...I have a demon oven anyway...my cakes never bake in the amount of time they are supposed to...either shorter or longer...no real rhyme or reason to it )

I used Imperial dark brown sugar, which gave it a very nice color. It is a moist and dense cake without being oily or "wet". I tried variations with nutmeg, ginger and allspice, but my family (and various neighbors/friends who happened to come by in my testing phase) didn't like them as well. I used a cream cheese frosting recipe I got off the internet and I'm sorry don't remember which one, but it was just cream cheese, butter and vanilla. I used the Decorator's Cream Cheese Frosting from this site last weekend. It tasted almost as good and held up ten times better than the other recipe.

Anyway, hth.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 8

There is an awesome carrot cake recipe in The Cake-Mix Doctor book by Anne Byrn....it is sooooooo good...and I don't even really like carrot cake!

Inacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inacake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:04am
post #7 of 8

I use a Wilton Cream Cheese Icing recipe that is to die for! My DH (who calls it like it is) says that he hates me for making it because he wants to keep eating it icon_biggrin.gif

1/2 cup butter
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
4 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk

In a medium mixing bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth, add sugar and milk. Beat on high speed until smooth (30-60 seconds). Use this thicker consistency for piping borders. For icing cakes smooth, thin with milk.

Happy baking!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 8

I can't believe I have three carrot cakes to make this weekend and I didn't have a frosting recipe yet - thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%