Elise87 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #31 of 36

lol never mind..i know what you mean icon_smile.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLadyBabyCakes

I write it with a blunt end of something--no icing. If I like how it looks I go over it with icing, if not--I erase it with a VIVA! icon_smile.gif

That is a great idea... I am going to try that. thumbs_up.gif

Chabela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chabela Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #33 of 36

Thank you so much for your answer. I will practice that way.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Sugarflowers....

Would you please explain that writing technique in a little more detail. I would like to try that "thread thing" but I am not sure what I am supposed to do. A most interesting technique!!! I have to write Happy Birthday Michelle on a cake for this weekend and I already am getting a headache. I certainly can not write on the side of a cake to save my life. I almost destroyed a perfectly iced BC cake about 3 months ago. I still remember how upsetting it was!

Thanks.

I am so sorry take so long to respond to this, but here is my method.

After the cake has been iced and smoothed, and BEFORE adding borders, I measure on each side about 3 inches down to represent the TOP of the line of letters. I usually make the capital letters about 2 inches tall and the lower case in proportion. Then I measure down from that about 1 inch to make a "spacer" and a top line for the second line of letters. Again this is about 2 inches tall. I then take some thread (usually red so that it's easy to see), and lightly attach it to the measured markings on the side edge markings of the cake. After writing the message, I let the icing crust slightly and then peel off the thread. Letters like j and g will have drop downs that will be cut, but I just tap them back into place. Any marks made by the thread on the edges of the cake are normally covered by the border.

The size of the "spaces" will vary with the size of the cake. If the letters are going to be less than 1 inch, then I don't bother with the thread. For long messages, I practice centering on a piece of paper. If it still doesn't come out centered, then I put some sort of decoration to make it appear that I knew what I was doing. icon_smile.gif

I hope this makes sense.

Michele

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:20am
post #35 of 36

Unlimited and all those who answered, I apologize for the delay, I was not getting email notifications for some reason. I can not thank all of you enough. Especially you Unlimited, a video just for me! You truly went above and beyond and I appreciate it very much.

I am so excited to start practicing. I was actually at the bakery tonight and did not have a single second to practice (I was reorganizing my workspace, they gave me new baskets etc for all my things which have been a royal mess). Anyhow I will be practicing my writing very soon and I will take pictures to show you my progress.

THANK YOU!!!!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

Unlimited and all those who answered, I apologize for the delay, I was not getting email notifications for some reason. I can not thank all of you enough. Especially you Unlimited, a video just for me! You truly went above and beyond and I appreciate it very much....
....THANK YOU!!!!

You are very welcome! My heart just went out for you so much knowing that you weren't able to get help or training at the store. As you practice, it will get easier, then it can become fun! I hope you don't burn out on writing "Happy Birthday" all day... good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%