Cake For An Interment

Decorating By nowi Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 4:50am by nowi

nowi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nowi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 17

my in-laws friend passed away a few days ago. interment will be on monday and one of my in-laws asked me if i could make a cake for that "occasion."

well now i am confused as to make an ordinary cake or a decorated one, as this in-law of mine would usually ask me decorated cakes before...but all of those occasions were happy ones, unlike this one. if she meant decorated cake (which i think it is), i am not so sure what design it would be.

need your advice and probably cake design ideas on this.

thank you very much!!!

16 replies
jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:07am
post #2 of 17

I would probably do a cross with flowers in pastel colors in the center. JMO. Good luck with whatever you decide! So sorry about the loss...

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #3 of 17

There was recently a thread about a cake for a funeral and someone posted a link to a cake here on cc with a single lily in the middle. I thought it was really classy. Good luck with whatever you decide!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 17

I am sorry for your loss. I would make a cake with the in-laws friend in mind. Their favorite cake perhaps. It could be something as simple as a chocolate cake, ganache and chocolate accents, or a light ivory cake with graceful flowers.

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #5 of 17

Sorry for your loss! I would keep it simple: subtle colors and maybe a few flowers. Nothing fancy and no writing unless the family requested something special. It's not the time to showcase fancy techniques.

It's very kind of you to do this for the family. I'm sure they'll appreciate it greatly.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyloo

There was recently a thread about a cake for a funeral and someone posted a link to a cake here on cc with a single lily in the middle. I thought it was really classy. Good luck with whatever you decide!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1339065.html

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #7 of 17

Nowi, I agree with the others. A simple cross or as jlynnw said, something that the person would have liked, if you know that. I think anything that you make is very kind and will be well received.

nowi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysmom

Sorry for your loss! I would keep it simple: subtle colors and maybe a few flowers. Nothing fancy and no writing unless the family requested something special. It's not the time to showcase fancy techniques.

It's very kind of you to do this for the family. I'm sure they'll appreciate it greatly.

thank you, too! i agree with you and also, i am very sensitive to what others would feel on how i present my cake to them. i dont want them to think that i am trying to show off (although i am not a great decorator). because i know that there would be people who will attend the funeral who thinks that way, sad to say.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #9 of 17

I was intrigued and wondered how many of these were in the gallery. I didn't realize how normal it was to order a cake for a funeral. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I haven't had too many occasions to find that out. I did find some beautiful ones that might inspire you though....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1276598

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=9586

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=961853

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=341783

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1381091

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #10 of 17

I have unfortunately experienced a lot of loss in my life, and funerals are a common thing for me to attend.I have never even thought of having a cake at a time like that. To me cakes are for celebrations, but to each their own. I personally would not like to get the calla lily cake. Everyone is already so sad, and I would probably start crying all over again if I saw that cake right after a funeral. Not to slight the person who made it or ordered it, but since the friends didn't specify what they wanted, I personally would stay away from that.
I just got back from my grandma's funeral Monday, and I think that the cross and/or flowers idea with no words would be better. So sorry for your and your inlaw's loss.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #11 of 17

I was asked to do a cake for my grandmother, she died at 100! I wanted to put pictures of her on a sheet cake. Young , old, grandkids. sort of a story of her life. I never got to make it but it was my idea.

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:52am
post #12 of 17

It depends on the crowd and whether it's a celebration of life or a more somber occasion. When my mom passed away last summer we had a luncheon after the service and internment. Lots of food and actually 2 cakes. One my stepdad ordered from the caterer (I wasn't in town yet), sheet cake with a Bingo card on it, and one I made, round with the Air Force seal on it (she was retired).

If you can, maybe contact the family of the deceased and see if they have any requests. I know your inlaws asked you, but unless they are the ones making the arrangements, you should probably talk to the family.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:06am
post #13 of 17

when my dad passed away i made a 1/2 sheet and had over lapping hearts, inside read, Dad, we will miss you. i arranged a few lillies and bluebells that i had made to one side of each heart, and the rest of the cake was covered in cornelli lace but had hidden messages also written in the swirly lines. Once i pointed them out people were looking for them. Everyone said my dad would have loved it. Funny thing is i took a roll of pictures that day and not one came out. i got them printed and you could see everyone in the pictures but there was a thick white cloud (not evenly) over every single one. So about a year later someone gave me a picture of the cake, and i put the picture in a book until i got home and i never have found the picture. Im certain my dad loved his cake.
I would ask your IL if they want to celebrate the persons life and do something in remembrance doing something they enjoyed or did in their life, or one more mournful (for a better word, like the cake i made). Cake is comfort food too, so its ok to have a cake at a funeral, imho.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:54am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

Cake is comfort food too, so its ok to have a cake at a funeral, imho.

Ain't that the truth?!!!

Truly sorry for your loss, and I also agree that it's okay to have a cake. There will probably be more food than anyone can eat, but it wouldn't hurt to have more than needed rather than the other way around.

My mother (who lives out of town) picked up a cake on her way to her own brother's after-funeral family luncheon. There was plenty of food and the cake was never opened. (she donated it to my kids who were having a sleepover the next night.) I believe it would be appreciated as long as it's a tasteful design.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 17

I wouldn't do a cross unless you ok it with them first. Not everyone is religious, and not even all Christians would like it.

Something simple, maybe pastels, with some pretty but understated florals would be appropriate.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #16 of 17

Sorry about your loss.

I think if you are worried about being too much, keep it simple. White on white is nice. Simple flowers or cross. I actually did a cake for a more somber occasion and used no food coloring at all. It looked understated and nice. I agree with no words unless requested.

nowi Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:50am
post #17 of 17

THANK YOU very much everyone! you gave me great ideas on how i could do it. I have decided to follow your advices. I hope this cake will make them feel a little lighter (at least).

Thanks again!!! I am really glad I am with CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%