Gumpaste Question

Decorating By oneyracing Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm by Loucinda

oneyracing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneyracing Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 5

it has rained all day today and now it is hot and very humid...i made some figures for a cake i have to do this weekend...my question is...

will they dry hard in time?

if not any ideas on how to get them to dry before saturday afternoon

i have not worked with gumpaste but one other time...any tips would be very helpful

thanks
Pebbles

4 replies
kakealicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakealicious Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 5

I live in FL and it's always hot and humid. I've never had any problems as long as you make them at least 2 days in advanced. If you have a dehumidifier or a small fan that will help to dry them faster too. Good luck! HTH!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 5

If you're using 100% gumpaste you shouldn't have a problem gettng the pieces to dry. If it is mixed with fondant, it will be a slower process. I have used a food dehydrator for pieces that just won't cooperate. I'm in Oklahoma where it is always humid and don't have a problem with pieces that are made solely of gumpaste. You should be okay with it. Good luck!

jojohampton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojohampton Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 5

I made cutouts with 1/2 gum paste & 1/2 fondant and they were fine last evening. However, this morning, because of the high humidity, they are wet! I need them to dry by this evening so that I can put them on my cake. I don't have a food dehydrator -- would the oven work on very low temps? I appreciate any suggestions -- or do I have to start all over?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 5

Set a fan to blow on them.

For those who have used the food dehydrator, how did you do it? I have one with racks in it, and tried to dry some pieces in it - they got too hot and got all melty like - I would love to know how you do it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%