Decorating By jovigirl Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm by jovigirl

jovigirl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone,

I will be making a transformers cake for this weekend & thought it would be cool to have flames on the side of the cake. I will be making an 11 x 15 sheet cake. I've never done flames before. Does anyone know how I can make these or maybe know of a tutorial or something I can go by?

Thanks for your help ;o)

10 replies
idjitmom Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 11

You didn't say what you wanted to make them out of? Assuming fondant, here is what I did - I printed out a patter, & had that in front of me to use for a guide then just cut freehand. It took a couple of tries before I was satisfied, but all-in-all, just about 10 minutes before I had what I wanted.

merriel Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 11

I recently made a cake with the sun as the bottom layer and made flames out of fondant. I used the leaf-shaped fondant cutter for the flames and for the coloring of the fondant I made all the fondant yellow and then lightly mixed in some orange for a marbly "flame" effect. For my cake the flames were laying flat and perpendicular to the cake but you could certainly stand them up and stick them to the sides. I overlapped them a bit too. Oh - and when drying them I let them dry with the top third or so hanging over the bottom of an upside down cake pan to get a 3D curve effect too.

CakeMommy3 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 11

I made flames coming out of the back of a space ship, and I used color flow. My husband drew the flames, and I outlined it with orange, then flowed in in with yellow in the middle, and orange around that, then took a toothpick and swirled them together. It looked aweome. It's the space cake in my pics, but I don't know if you can see it that well. You could make a few of those an attach them to the sides of the cake.

kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 11

B'cream flames are sooooooooo super easyicon_smile.gif Just pipe pull-up shellsicon_smile.gif
Start at the bottom, start squeezing and pull up w/even pressure. Use a leaf tip - 70 if you wont nice, fat ones. Fill your bag w/red & yellow icing one color on one side, the other color on the other side of the bag.

jovigirl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 11

Does anyone have a pic of the bc flames dones with the leaf tip as a border? Just so I can see what it looks like...

Thank you all thumbs_up.gif

misserica Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 11

Oh Jovi I am so glad you asked this...I have to make flames on the side of a sheet cake (in BC) and I was wondering how I was going to do it. Good luck and thanks!

jovigirl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 11

Well looks like the easiest thing to do is to fill a piping bag with red, orange & yellow bc & insert a leaf tip...
Lost of images on here to see what it looks like, just type in "flames"
I also googled this & it said to fill the bag the same way but to use the grass tip, not too sure if it would have the same effect, however I think I will do the leaf tip & if I have any left & will add a few squirts with the grass tip on the bottom just for the effect... let see how it turns out, I will post pics on Sat or Sunday after the cake is done...
Tx for all your help, I knew I could count on my CC buds thumbs_up.gif

merriel Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #9 of 11

Here is the link to the cake I made with the fondant flames if it helps....

patticakesnc Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #10 of 11

I did them in Royal icing on the Harley cake I did in my photos.
1. Draw them on printer paper
2. Tape Wax paper on top.
3. Outline them the color you want the outline done in.
4. flood them like you would a cookie.
5. Let them dry for at least 48 hours before peeling them off the paper.

I used a round tip. Can't remember the number I think it was 4 to outline. This gave it a bold look.

jovigirl Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 11

Cake & flames turned out awesome, will upload a pic as soon as I figure out how my sister's camera works...
Thanks for all your help.. BC flames were sooooo simple !
Thanks again ;o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%