Stacked Cake .....help!

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I am making a 3-tiered stacked cake for my neice's BD, and I need some help! This is my very first stacked cake, and I printed off the instructions on how to stack one off this site.

My problem is.... do you put cake boards between the layers ? so you can frost, then pick up cake board and all and place on the previous cake?

Thanks
Rhonda

5 replies
wakezcakez Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Rhonda! Yep you put cake boards between the layers..makes decorating and picking up to stack possible...as well as making it easier to take the layers apart to cut and serve! Hope this helps...good luck with your first stacked cake! I'm doing my first wedding cake this week...wish me luck too!

becklynn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 6

This may help. It's video on youtube called "Assembling a Wedding Cake"
Good Luckicon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 6

Hang on - you're gonna need some support under those boards too or your cake will get crushed!

Some use dowels, straws, or even SPS systems to keep their cakes sturdy.

Here, watch Edna do it:

both are very helpful. If you can watch all of their videos, they are great!

Rhonda19 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 6

YES...." wakezcakez ".... this helps GREATLY!!! I just knew that I couldn't pick up stacked, frosted cakes... and then stack them. I could just picture it... me, picking up a stacked cake with a spatula...and seeing it split in two right before my eyes!!!! (LOL)

I wish you much luck with your first wedding cake!!!

and "cupcakemkr"... I knew about the dowel rods, but I just needed a little help with the cake boards.

THANKS everyone!

Rhonda19 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 6

I posted a picture of the stacked cake I made in my gallery. I did make mistakes, but I learned alot, so hopefully I won't make the same mistakes twice!

Thanks for all the help!
Rhonda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%