Painting On Buttercream?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 12:11am by 2txmedics

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 7

How would I go about doing this? I need to make a 9x13 in a sunset theme and do not have an airbrush. I was thinking painted BC might be an option?

6 replies
Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 7

Should work. I smooth the buttercream really well, then chill in the fridge until set. Mix you gel colors with liquid(I use vodka) and paint with food safe brushes. Keep the frosting a bit wet(little sprinkle of water) and you can easily get a watercolor effect. I painted buttercream on my spiderman cookie cake(black building-shadowed on white buttercream) using this method.

Good luck!

beachcakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks cookiesbymomme! That spiderman cookie cake is awesome!!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 7

I did my Boxer cake using different methods...I did a transfer first, let it dry and crust...then I added star tips for a furry look...and when that crusted and dried....

I got a paint brush and vodka and I shaded in the black and gray shading on the boxer to make him look different color tones...see my photos.

If you check him out please leave a comment. Thanks!

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 7

beachcakes- thanks for the nice comments. I should have mentioned the Darth Vadar cake was almost all painted on buttercream in the method I described above. I piped a few outlines in the end just to make it have a more 3-D effect!

Great cake 2txmedics - very cute! I love Boxers!!!

Have fun and happy painting. Off to do a cupcake bouquet(all ready need to assemble- never done it before!!!LOL) Wish me luck- I have a feeling I will need it!!!

beachcakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 7

He's so cute txmedics! icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the comments on my Boxer cake....I own one of those babies...he is like 70lbs to my 106lbs...and he thinks he is a lap dog...JUMANGI is his name....lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%