Rolling Out Fondant On Vinyl Mat? Didn't Work

Decorating By pastryjen Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm by Loucinda

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 9

Hey...just wondering if I did something wrong or what but I rolled out some fondant on some vinyl table cloth plastic stuff so that I could flip it over onto the cake.

There were tiny divots in the fondant, almost like popped air bubbles everywhere.

Did I use the wrong material...should I invest in a silicone mat?

Advice please!

Thanks

8 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 9

I bought a silicone mat and had trouble with it. The fondant just didnt want to move (it might have been the person rolling it!)

I love my Wilton plastic mat that I bought after my first Wilton class. If I have something bigger to roll out I just clean my table well and roll it out on the table.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 9

maybe there are air bubbles under your vinyl mat therefor when you are rolling your fondant the bulges are poppoing thrue, not sure though just a thought . i use a large piece of marble to roll my fondant , wish I canbe of more help.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 9

don't most vinyl table clothes have a very slight texture to them?

I use a vinyl sheet, clear you can buy it at walmart or other fabric stores, no problems with it.

it could be the table cloth had little impressions on it

pastryjen Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 9

It was a clear flat untextured vinyl sheet!

I'll try it again and take a picture.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #6 of 9

One thing to try would be to start rolling the fondant out on the vinyl, then flip it over when the surface is smooth. Keep rolling it, and that will probably take care of any pits and bubbles since the side against the vinyl will be smooth.

pastryjen Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:28am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

One thing to try would be to start rolling the fondant out on the vinyl, then flip it over when the surface is smooth. Keep rolling it, and that will probably take care of any pits and bubbles since the side against the vinyl will be smooth.

Great idea! Thanks

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:51am
post #8 of 9

I smooth it a lot with my hands before I pick it up and put it on the cake. I've noticed that seems to make a difference. I flip it a couple of times too, and use cornstarch on the vinyl even though most people say they don't. I don't use a lot, just a light dusting one time.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 9

When I use the vinyl mat - I first take a wet cloth and get the counter top damp - then I put the mat down and smooth it to the counter top, making sure there are no "air bubbles" under it. This makes sure it doesn't shift when I am rolling on it too.

I then do what CZ - I make sure it isn't sticking and even pick it up and turn it over a time or two to make sure it is nice and smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%