Modeling Chocolate

Sugar Work By kkozub Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm by TooMuchCake

kkozub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkozub Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

Has anyone ever used Mercken's Melting Disks for Modeling Chocolate? I have done a lot of research and some recommend Guillard; however, I can only order a 50lb case and the best price I found was $140.00. That's a little much for a first time modeling chocolate experience. Any advise is appreciated!

5 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 6

I use Merckens. It works great and tastes even better. icon_smile.gif

Edited to add ... I must admit - I don't "model" with my chocolate clay, but use it as an ingredient for chocolate pearl clay and chocolate fondant.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 6

I've heard Mercken's is very good for modeling chocolate, but the recipe I use (Michele Foster's chocolate leather) calls for the cheapest chocolate you can find. I use chocolate bark from the grocery store with that recipe and it's great to work with and very tasty. I won a Chocolate Chocolate division competition with it. :^)

Deanna

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 6

I used good old nestles choc chips, and was fine

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 6

Where do you find Michelle's chocolate leather recipe?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 6

Misdawn, she has a cookbook out, and that's where I originally got it. It's also here:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6383-0-Chocolate-Leather.html
The recipe is slightly different in the book than online. I use one cup (rather than the whole 7-ounce jar) of marshmallow creme. Love it!

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%