Quick Questions.........

Baking By MrsNewBaker Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 4:35am by cheatize

MrsNewBaker Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 3

Okay i've been trying out random scratch recipes so I can find one that I like and can use as my go to scratch cake but i have been having issues with them being dry and really crumbly.

When adding pudding mix or sour cream if the recipe doesnt call for it is there a general amount that you add to help with moistness? i assume 1 box of pudding mix but what about the sour cream? and do i need to cut back on anything if i add either of these to a recipe?

TIA!!

2 replies
confectioneista Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 3

If you're having issues with dryness in your cake, it may be as simple as the temperature of your oven. Most recipes say to bake the cake at 350 degrees, however, I prefer to bake mine at 325. It makes for a bit longer in the baking time but I don't have the issues of my cakes drying out. Also, your cakes should not be pulling away from the pan while they're still in the oven - another indication of being "over" baked and drying. When you do your toothpick test for doneness, the toothpick should not be "wet" per se but still have a few crumbs on it. Try adjusting your baking time and see if that helps before trying to add things to your recipes; you may not need to. HTH

cheatize Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:35am
post #3 of 3

I know the altered box recipes has 1 cup of sour cream per box mix (generally).

You could also try removing one tablespoon of the flour in the recipe. I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook that has you remove one tablespoon of flour from cake recipes. The book was published the year flour came out that was already sifted or something because half-way through the book it says you can't stop sifting flour before you use it.

Anyway, I've done this with some scratch recipes and it seems to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%