Need Color Help!! Please!! Blue Hydrangeas

Decorating By Mommy23 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm by Mommy23

Mommy23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy23 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 16

I see lots of pretty hydrangea cake photos but I can't seem to get the color blue right!! I am putting silk Hydrangeas on the cake but want the border blue. What color/s should I be using to get the right shade of blue. I realize Hydrangeas vary in shade but I am not getting any where close. I have wilton Delphinium and cornflower, Americolor, sky, Royal, electric, navy, turquoise etc. I have 5 bowls of colors mixed up and nothing even close!! I need this cake for Friday, any help would be appreciated Thanks.

15 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 16

Hi Mommy23
What if you added a mauve or a touch of purple to the cornflour blue.
or - after making cornflour blue petals you dust them with a lilac/mauve petal dust.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 16

I recently had to make periwinkle, which is similar to the colour of hydrangeas. Try mixing violet with sky blue. HTH

Mommy23 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 16

okay I have tried all your suggestions and still not getting it. Any other ideas? I am feeling color challenged right now! My hydrangeas are definitely more blue with very little if any purple hue to them. UGH! DOn't understand why I am having so much trouble with this.

Thanks,
Erica

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 16

Sug-ar Craft.com (leave out the -) has a good chart of how to mix colors. The number of parts for each color to equal xyz, etc. Try looking at that.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 16

When I did my hydrangeas - I colored them w/ chalk though - I did them whatever color I wanted (purple or blue mostly), & then very lightly edged them w/ fuschia.

txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 16

idjitmom -- does chalk work the same as the dust powders? Where did you find chalk?

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 16

What color blue are they?? Are they more a navy or robins egg??? Maybe if you could post a picture of them it would help us to help you better.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 16

Chalk...like Crayola chalk...really. That chalk. Love it!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 16

Oh....but I only use it when dusting on a dry piece of gumpaste work.

Mommy23 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 16

Sorry, left my camera at church but it is very similar to the ones on this cake done by Steady2Hands. Maybe a little lighter.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1217270

TyeRiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyeRiley Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #12 of 16

I found this on utube a while ago. If you watch the whole video she says what colors she uses to make her colors for her hydrangea cupcakes. Hope this helps.
Here's the link I hope it works.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

idjitmom -- does chalk work the same as the dust powders? Where did you find chalk?

Yes, pretty much. The colors are a bit more muted, at least in my limited experience. I got a big thing (like 72 I think) of chalk at Michaels for $2.50 (after a 50% off coupon), & then just grated what I needed off the side w/ a serated steak knife.

Here's the hydreangeas:
LL

txnonnie Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 16

Purchased some chalk last night and am going to give it a try.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 16

I am not able to get a blue color either that I like. I wanted a baby blue and have most of the colors that Mommy23 has. I wantd a baby blue - not a pale baby blue a medium baby blue. Got every color but - most were more towards the aqua, turq, robin's egg hue. Adding violet or any kind of purple or pink then gives you perwinkle or something with a lilac cast to it. Very frustrating.

Mommy23 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 16

Glad I am not the only one, Blues and Greens give me the most problems. Though I have worked through most of my green issues. LOL. I just can't get the Blue right. I have tried every combinations and every time I add even the tiniest bit of violet my blue turns lilac. Then there is the issue that in my kitchen the color may be blue but if I walk into my living room the color turns very purple. Its the lighting I know but there is a huge difference in the colors so I wonder what the lighting will be like where the cake is going. LOL.

Not sure what I am going to do yet. Still mixing and trying different things, hopefully I can get something to come together by tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%