Need Color Help!! Please!! Blue Hydrangeas

Decorating By Mommy23 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm by Mommy23

Mommy23 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 16

I see lots of pretty hydrangea cake photos but I can't seem to get the color blue right!! I am putting silk Hydrangeas on the cake but want the border blue. What color/s should I be using to get the right shade of blue. I realize Hydrangeas vary in shade but I am not getting any where close. I have wilton Delphinium and cornflower, Americolor, sky, Royal, electric, navy, turquoise etc. I have 5 bowls of colors mixed up and nothing even close!! I need this cake for Friday, any help would be appreciated Thanks.

15 replies
Bluehue Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 16

Hi Mommy23
What if you added a mauve or a touch of purple to the cornflour blue.
or - after making cornflour blue petals you dust them with a lilac/mauve petal dust.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

phoufer Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 16

I recently had to make periwinkle, which is similar to the colour of hydrangeas. Try mixing violet with sky blue. HTH

Mommy23 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 16

okay I have tried all your suggestions and still not getting it. Any other ideas? I am feeling color challenged right now! My hydrangeas are definitely more blue with very little if any purple hue to them. UGH! DOn't understand why I am having so much trouble with this.

txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 16

Sug-ar (leave out the -) has a good chart of how to mix colors. The number of parts for each color to equal xyz, etc. Try looking at that.

idjitmom Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 16

When I did my hydrangeas - I colored them w/ chalk though - I did them whatever color I wanted (purple or blue mostly), & then very lightly edged them w/ fuschia.

txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 16

idjitmom -- does chalk work the same as the dust powders? Where did you find chalk?

jamiekwebb Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 16

What color blue are they?? Are they more a navy or robins egg??? Maybe if you could post a picture of them it would help us to help you better.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 16 Crayola chalk...really. That chalk. Love it!

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 16

Oh....but I only use it when dusting on a dry piece of gumpaste work.

Mommy23 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 16

Sorry, left my camera at church but it is very similar to the ones on this cake done by Steady2Hands. Maybe a little lighter.

TyeRiley Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #12 of 16

I found this on utube a while ago. If you watch the whole video she says what colors she uses to make her colors for her hydrangea cupcakes. Hope this helps.
Here's the link I hope it works.

idjitmom Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 16
Originally Posted by txnonnie

idjitmom -- does chalk work the same as the dust powders? Where did you find chalk?

Yes, pretty much. The colors are a bit more muted, at least in my limited experience. I got a big thing (like 72 I think) of chalk at Michaels for $2.50 (after a 50% off coupon), & then just grated what I needed off the side w/ a serated steak knife.

Here's the hydreangeas:

txnonnie Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 16

Purchased some chalk last night and am going to give it a try.

Peridot Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 16

I am not able to get a blue color either that I like. I wanted a baby blue and have most of the colors that Mommy23 has. I wantd a baby blue - not a pale baby blue a medium baby blue. Got every color but - most were more towards the aqua, turq, robin's egg hue. Adding violet or any kind of purple or pink then gives you perwinkle or something with a lilac cast to it. Very frustrating.

Mommy23 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 16

Glad I am not the only one, Blues and Greens give me the most problems. Though I have worked through most of my green issues. LOL. I just can't get the Blue right. I have tried every combinations and every time I add even the tiniest bit of violet my blue turns lilac. Then there is the issue that in my kitchen the color may be blue but if I walk into my living room the color turns very purple. Its the lighting I know but there is a huge difference in the colors so I wonder what the lighting will be like where the cake is going. LOL.

Not sure what I am going to do yet. Still mixing and trying different things, hopefully I can get something to come together by tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%