How Can I Make A Topper Out Of This Picture.

Decorating By Queenie4574 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm by Kiddiekakes

Queenie4574 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queenie4574 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 13

What do you recommend I use to make this picture into a topper? I do intend on using fondant for the cake.[/img]
LL

12 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 13

I think that the easiest thing to do would be to print an edible image then stick that to 50/50 gumpaste/fondant, cut it to shape you want add a candy stick or skwers to the back and insert into the cake

Queenie4574 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 13

I want it to be 3D standing up.

Queenie4574 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 13

thanks! That is a great idea!

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 13

I agree that the edible image would be the easiest way. If that isn't an option you could do the overall shape in gumpaste and build on it with fondant let it dry then attach to stand it up. A lot of the design is simple shapes.

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 13

It's actually not that dificult to recreate in 3d. Its just balls for the faces, a cone for the main body, etc. If I may ask, what's the cake for? I really like the image, it's cute.

chele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 13

If you don't have a printer, you can call your local foodstore.. I just did that this weekend.. I needed a pic and didn't want to use paper, I wanted it to be edible. SO i went to Shoprite and gave them a printout off the computer and they made me an edible image of it.. It cost me $10! and it worked perfectly.. I cut the shape out of gumpaste let it dry then put a dowl on the back and glued it on with a piece of gumpaste and stuck it in the side of the cake inside a straw and it was PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 13

meegh is right, its not that difficult to make a3d out of that pic... most of my 3d edible toppers started from ball and cone...

MARYNES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARYNES Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 13

I would do it in styrofoam!

Here you can find the instructions how to do a styrofoam topper, unfortunatelly it is in spanish but the pictures are very clear and easy to follow instructions.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582032-marynes.html

I hope this can help you and you have any questions let me know, I can help you with translation if need it.

Queenie4574 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 13

I love all the ideas. I haven't decorated a cake in over 3yrs and now that I have children I am getting back in the mix but am rusty on alot of the newer techniques.

This cake is going to be for a Mexican Baby Shower. We are having it at a nice Mexican Restaurant and this theme matches the decor. I wish I could say the theme was my idea. Actually when I heard it was the Virgen Mary...I was skeptical.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 13

marynes -- what a great tip. Glad you shared that. Couldn't read it, but you are right, pictures were great. I have never thought of doing that. Very helpful for future purposes.

MARYNES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARYNES Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

marynes -- what a great tip. Glad you shared that. Couldn't read it, but you are right, pictures were great. I have never thought of doing that. Very helpful for future purposes.

I am glad you like this idea, it looks really nice on the cake, here i show my first two styrofoam toppers I did last week.
LL

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 13

I just print the picture off from the computer on regular paper and then make a fondant plaque about the same size and then I glue it on with clear piping gel and put something heavy ontop for a few hours so the edges don't curl up..It is not edible but it still is a 3D Plaque to use in a pinch!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%