Planning A Surprise Bday Party- Help

Lounge By Auryn Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm by Auryn

Auryn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all.
I was hoping to get some suggestions from all your great minds to help me pull this off. sorry if its a little long.
My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years.
This july is going to be the first time in 10 years that he will be home for his birthday. He was an Army MP and on deployment that whole time. He is turning 29.

I want to do something really special for him.
He has never had a surprise birthday party and never a birthday party as an adult.
I want to throw him one.
Here are some of the facts.
We live 1 hr apart. His friends and our mutual friends (from our volleyball league) all live down by me. There are a total of about maybe 20-30 people that I would be inviting and all will most likely show up.
I have a small 2 bedroom apartment, I would love to have them all over but I only have a small loveseat and an overstuffed chair.
In total I have seating for about 10 people but getting plastic chairs wouldnt be a problem it would just be pretty tight. The problem would be getting the place decorated while he is not there and basically delaying him coming over without arising suspicion. He usually drives down around 4pm on Fridays and I would have to ask him to not come down till the evening which he would immediately think is suspicious.
That or just not decorate anything and just have people start showing up. Or we could go 'out' and I would have to impose on one of them to come to my place and decorate while we are out.

I thought about all going out to eat, but most of us aren't really in a financial situation to go out and spend a ton of money on dinner and drinking. Plus Id rather it be more like a hang out party where people can come and go.

I could use my parent's house/property. They have two acres of land. We could use the bbq, set up a fire pit, set off clearance fireworks (it would be the weekend after 4th of july). The only problem with that is that we would have to stay mostly outside and im worried about mosquitoes. There I could totally set up that day or even the day before with no problem. I already have the go head from my parents to do it there- they love him.

So what do you guys think??
Any other suggestions I might not have thought of??
thanks so much ahead of time.

5 replies
-Tubbs Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 6

It's sweet that you want to do this for him!

'The BBQ sounds best, then you can set everything up beforehand. You can tell him you're going to your folks' for dinner or something, then he'll shower and put on a shirt! Regarding the mozzies, just get a few cans of bug spray for people to use, and burn some citronella. If you do this, try to arrange some sort of shelter in case of rain, plus ice for food and drinks. Why not make it a pot-luck, that way everyone chips in for the cost (you could say no gifts) and that makes it more economical for everyone.

Good luck!

Auryn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Tubbs.
I've decided to go the BBQ route. Worst case if ppl get too tired to drive we can pitch a tent in the yard.

Now I just gotta figure out the most economical place to get tiki torches.

SugarLover2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 6

oh how much fun! we got out tiki torches at walmart. they should have them and the oil for them as well. have fun!

SS385Monte Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 6

Check out the Backyard Guard too (I think that's what it's called). You hook it up to the hose and spray the yard before (even two or three days before). It works great for keeping mosquitoes away. I think it's about $10 for a bottle.

Auryn Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 6

where would I find this 'Backyard guard' you speak of?? it sounds awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%