Funky Letters Need Help!

Decorating By phoufer Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm by jillangel

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 14

I am trying to make Funky Letters using tappits to stand up on a cake I am doing. I want to do the little girls name and cannot for the life of me get them to stand up. I have tried using spagetti, wire etc. but nothing is working. I am afraid that if I don't have some kind of "pick" in them they won't stand on cake. The cake will be covered in fondant. Any ideas for me? I am getting frustrated and need to figure this out today.

13 replies
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 14

You could use the little popsicle sticks or a heavier craft wire.

phoufer Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 14

the problem is the letters are tiny and thin because of using the tappits and I can't get the wire to stay in without breaking through the gumpaste. Would using melted chocolate to put them on the cake work?

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 14

I guess I should have read more carefully, popsicle sticks would be too big. The wire probably won't work either. Are you using gumpaste for the letters? If so, they shouldn't be that difficult to stand up, especially the more they dry. I would stick wire in them after they are cut out and let dry, you will have to adhere the wire with gum glue, and don't make your wire too long. The white floral cloth covered wire should be fine.

hunzz71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hunzz71 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 14

Maybe you could "glue" them on with RI, just a little dab on the bottom to get them to stay up on the cake.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 14

I would use gumpaste to make them. Let them dry and then you could attach them to tooth picks with candy coating. I also think if you let the gumpaste dry you could probably stand them up on their own.

phoufer Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 14

thank you all for your ideas. I have several sets on the go and will see which one works best when the gumpaste is dried.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 14

Make 2 of each letter and sandwich wire/toothpick in the centre when you are putting the two letters together.

You would have fondant - wire - fondant. Let them dry and stand them up.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 14

I was going to suggest the same as dsilvest. I think sandwiching 2 would be best.

phoufer Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks, that is one of the ways I tried first. I think I just didn't let it dry enough before I picked it up. I did it that way again and it is drying right now.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 14

If all else fails make stars or hearts on the wire and attach the letter to the star or heart background. That's what I do because those tappits are so darn delicate.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 14

Oooh! Great idea jillangel! I forgot about doing it that way!!! That would work great!

phoufer Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #13 of 14

jilangel you are a genius! I actually have already made flowers, hearts and stars on wires for the top of the cake. That would work!!!!!! I am off to make another set of letters.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you! Glad to help. I usually do the letters a different color than the background shape to stand out or if it is the same color I paint pearl luster or dip them in pixie dust glitter. I still need to let them harden a bit to work with though or I end up stretching them when working or breaking when I try to put the pixie dust on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%