I Ont Know What To Do!!

Decorating By lottie26 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm by sadsmile

lottie26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lottie26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:09am
post #1 of 23

Hiya all,
i have a cake to do for a friend,its a 40th birthday and she has given me a plaque that i have attached a pic of!she would like this plaque put on the top of the cake but im stuck on what colour to ice the cake in ..any suggestions greatly appreciated!
i have thought about a nice orange,lime green(its a ''lary'' plaque so i thought something bright)but im really not sure!
many thanks
LL

22 replies
mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:14am
post #2 of 23

If she is not set on BC I'd use black fondant.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:15am
post #3 of 23

I don't know if you plan on covering in fondant, but I think tie-dye would look really sharp. When I saw the plaque, that's all I could see -- tie-dye in all those amazing bright colors.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:15am
post #4 of 23

I think that purple would look good with a bright yellow icing. icon_rolleyes.gif

lottie26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lottie26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:16am
post #5 of 23

hiya

thats what i thought but she did drop in that she would be put off by a black cake...but i agree black would make sense

kylekaitlyn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:19am
post #6 of 23

The problem with black is all the black teeth. But I do think that it ould look amazing.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:21am
post #7 of 23

I would do a tan cake to be the back drop, like blank canvas for the dramatic colorations of the topper & decor to match the topper. Tan like the orange color only lighter--light orange with some brown in it to make the tan. But I agree black would have been brilliant.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:46am
post #8 of 23

All other things being equal (which they never are for some reason), I'd be on the black bandwagon, too. Since that's out, how about a different shade of the yellow, orange, purple or pink in the design? I say another shade so that the color actually used in the design doesn't get swallowed up in the background. Although I have to say, I like k8memphis's idea of a tan background, too. I also agree that the whole design screams "tie-dye!!!", but that might be too busy since the design itself has so many colors in it. Whatever you choose, please send us a picture of the finished cake. I'd love to see it!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:59am
post #9 of 23

Purple and yellow are complementary colors. With the predominant color in the plaque being purple, I'd go with yellow.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:29pm
post #10 of 23

Here's a further thought on the subject. If they want a screaming bright cake go matchy matchy with any of the colors--or even do alternating colors (if it's a tier cake) purple, yellow, orange etc.--but otherwise just tone down any of the colors (get the true color and add white) to any of them (the colors in the plaque/topper) and you got it.

If you add brown to any of those, the brights or the toned downs you get a smokey dusty version of that color and that would be very cool.

I like tye-dye flowers. Like each petal a different color--killer!!! And I mean just a few would pull it off too.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 23

Like 2 previous posters, my immediate thought was yellow. I'd go with the shade that's in the daisy on the top right.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #12 of 23

I would put the image on a black fondant cutout then either lay it on top of the cake or stand it up. That way the image still pops, but you can ice the cake in fondant or buttercream in any of the colors. I would do purple, green, or yellow for the layer containing the image if it is a mutli-layer cake. Very cool image btw! That cake is screaming for sparklers. What fun this cake will be.

cad1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cad1951 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #13 of 23

i think a flesh colored pink would look great for the background. not too light for the emblem, just dark enough to compliment the colors in the emblem but not take anything away from the beautiful colors of the emblem. can't wait to see pic of this cake when finished.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #14 of 23

What are you making the plaque from? If you are doing it in a colorflow or chocolate transfer, you could background it with black, and then put it on any color you wish.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #15 of 23

I say bright YELLOW!!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #16 of 23

I vote the awsome green that is on there!! And my second vote is the yellow! They would both look great! Are there going to be any other decorations on the cake at all? If so you can certainly play up those flowers and the design would just flow with the cake.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #17 of 23

I think it will really stand out on the green!

jdrew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdrew Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #18 of 23

This is what I like:

1. black
2. bright pink
3. orange

I can't wait to see the finish results!!

Julie

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #19 of 23

I think any of the primary colors-yellow or green would be my preference. Tie dye (although very 60's) would possibly be too busy. I would probably do yellow with a few fondant 'peace' symbols in black and some of the colored swirls on the cake body.

kylekaitlyn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #20 of 23

I can see how you might think tie-dye might be too busy, but if the cake were predominantly white with only a few patches of the other colors (I like the flowers idea) it can totally be pulled off.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #21 of 23

I would agree with the black fondant (plenty of icing underneath/in between the layers for those that may want to peel it off)

then, add flowers and swirlies/paisleys/acidelic woowoos/whatever they're called leading up to it with some being attached flat, some slightly raised off the surface and some 'popping' out. That would distract from it being a black cake...

ETA: It would be cool as shikaka if it actually worked, to use that glow in the dark stuff to do some of the details in!!!! like those black light posters!!!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #22 of 23

I would vote for yellow coverage and a black backdrop to the plate to show off the colors of the plate. Good luck

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #23 of 23

I would love to see chocolate clay colored black which would still tatse great and give you your color. Use Americolors as they are tasteless. But I would only do black for the top and then do slanted stipes of bright green or yellow and black. on the sides with a black border at the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%