Msg

Lounge By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 12:25am by ziggytarheel

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:33am
post #1 of 4

Is anyone here sensitive to MSG(monosodium glutamate)? My mother is, but i would like to make her a cake for her b-day,but don't have a recipe. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

***MSG is in about everything!!! If you suffer from headaches, backpain,dizzyspells, stomach problems, depression, asthma, chronic fatigue, hyperactivity,etc. or the doctors think your symptoms are "all in your head", check out this website, and let me know what you think:***

http://www.msgmyth.com/

3 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 4

Well, if you make a scratch cake you should be ok. I've never seen MSG listed as an ingredient in butter, sugar, eggs or flour...

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 4

I didn't used to be sensitive to it, but years ago I quit eating processed foods and now if I eat something with MSG in it I get a terrible headache, hives and generally feel like crap. My suggestion would be to bake from scratch or if not, just be sure to check the labels on all your cake/icing/filling components.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #4 of 4

I'm sensitive to MSG. icon_smile.gif

If you make a cake from scratch, you'll be fine. MSG is an additive. Unless things have changed in the past few years, MSG could even be in ingredients listed as "natural flavor", but not always. "Hydrolyzed" and "autolyzed" are red flags also. Even "spice" on a list of ingredients can possibly mean MSG.

But flour, butter, milk, eggs, cream, baking powder/soda? All fine. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%