Gelatin Flowers And Bows

Decorating By Briarview Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 9:35pm by peggy1672

Briarview Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:46am
post #1 of 15

I have done a search for the above but I can not bring up the posting regarding these. I was looking at them prior to going on holiday but I can not now find the thread. Could someone please point me in the right direction. Have searched several pages but computer is on a go slow so not getting very far very fast. Would appreciate the help. Thanks

14 replies
ApplegumKitchen Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:24am
post #2 of 15

I've got loads of info on these - but no time to post now - will try and get to it this evening

Briarview Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:57am
post #3 of 15

Thanks ApplegumKitchen. You could pm me if it is easier. Look forward to the info.

Briarview Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:12am
post #5 of 15

Yes FlourPots that's the one. Thank you so much, How do I save this topic to find it in future.

FlourPots Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:27am
post #6 of 15

You're welcome icon_smile.gif .

I only know of two ways to get back to a thread..Keeping the page(s) in my AOL "Favorite Places"...or saving one of the "Topic Reply Notifications" that Cake Central sends which has a link right to the thread.

Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:08pm
post #7 of 15

If you have any questions, just ask - there are a couple of us on here that are gelatin lovers now! (bobwondrbuns knows a lot about the medium too!)

Briarview Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #8 of 15

Thank you everyone. I have just made my first gelatin flowers. Just one thing I notice was the gelatin seems to be to be going wrinkly like scrunched up cellophane. Is this normal or is there something I am doing wrong. Also can't decide if the mixture is too runny or it has to set to a consistancey to get it to stay on the wire. Yes takes practise and I seem to fluke one every 5. It is okay until I take the last bit out slowly then it just bursts and I have to start again. Though I am pleased with what I have done and will assemble them later. We are doing this at our next meeting so I wanted to get a head start and hopefully know what I am doing.

Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 15

What kind of mat are you using to make the flowers?

The consistency of the gelatin should be about like finger nail polish.

They shouldn't "burst" ( I am assuming that means break here in the US!) if they are, you may have the gelatin too thin - try making them a tad thicker and see if that helps.

Briarview Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 15

Loucinda I am just dipping them in the solution and carefully pulling them out and that is when they burst like the kiddies bubble blowing toy.
Yes perhaps a little thin. They look okay and will try and post a picture.

Loucinda Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 15

You are making them different than I do. I use an impression mat (check the link I posted) The wire goes through the center of the flower the way I do them! (it isn't around the whole petal like yours)

Here is a pic of mine:

Briarview Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:09am
post #12 of 15

This was the link that flourpots posted in an earlier post. I quite liked this way. I have done the impression mat to make the bows but haven't got around to putting them together as yet.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 15

What 'bloom' gelatine are you using? 220 is the best for this type of work

Briarview Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 15

ApplegumKitchen. I looked on the packet and it says"Derived from Beef Skin. Preseravtive 220. Davis Gelatin Clear and Unflavoured. Is that what you mean?

peggy1672 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 15

if you don't use the impression mat, how thick do you make the gel. did you "paint it on or just pour it out?

Quote by @%username% on %date%