Help!! Need Tips For Making Realistic Flowers!

Decorating By Mrswalters Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm by jamiekwebb

Mrswalters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrswalters Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:24am
post #1 of 10

I am making a wedding cake for my brother and am making flowers. I have had trouble in the past making flowers look realistic. Can any of ya'll wonderful cake decorators give some types on how yall make your fantastic flowers?

9 replies
sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:49am
post #2 of 10

What kind of flowers are you looking at making? I generally use dust colors to brush onto my flowers after making them...there are different techniques for different flowers... so if you tell me what kind, I may be able to help.

judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:01am
post #3 of 10

Infact just today there is post on flowers by yamber82, if u go to that msg, u will find some links posted on how to make flowers. Also if u do to Youtube, u will find video on how to do flowers.

THe paste has to rolled thinly, which gives a better delicate looking flower. Talking from personal experience.

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:07am
post #4 of 10

Yes, rolling the paste thin makes your petals translucent and really makes them look life like...not to forget very delicate.

Mrswalters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrswalters Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:22am
post #5 of 10

thanks for the tips. I was specifically thinking of making fully bloomed roses(not rosebuds) but have not completely decided yet. Does anyone have tips on veining the flowers realistically.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 10

i have seen petal veiners before. and will add more back up to thinning your petals - that alone will make your flowers look about 100 times better.
xx

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 10

Also airbrushing I find helps make them look real also..I am doing sunflowers as we speak for cupcakes next week and I just sprayed them with yellow and orange mixed and brown/black centres..they look really nice and real looking!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 10

Rolling petals thin and adding hues.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 10

As thin as possible! Without ripping of course! and the right accent colours with airbrush and/or dusts.........I don't have an airbrush but I have heard the spray edible colours can give the same effect...now I havent tried this yet so I can't say if it does work like an airbrush maybe someone else has tried and could let us know?!
HTH

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 10

go to youtube and type in tonedna1 she gives great tutorials....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%