Painting A Cake With Food Coloring?

Decorating By KBSB Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 12:58am by KBSB

KBSB Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:22am
post #1 of 5

I just started working with fondant last fall and I've got the dying the fondant down good. However, if I try to do flat detail painted work on the fondant or white chocolate it doesn't want to absorb or at least dry and stays wet to the touch. I was using gel food coloring mixed with a little lemon juice. I was wondering if anyone knew how to do it so that it will dry?

4 replies
Elise87 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:47am
post #2 of 5

not sure why it doesn't though i have never used lemon juice. When i paint my gumpaste pieces which would be the same as painting on fondant, I dilute my paste colours with vodka and it dries nicely with a matt finish to it

shelbur10 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:01am
post #3 of 5

It doesn't dry at all? Weird. I use vodka, because it evaporates and dries faster, but I would think that lemon juice would dry eventually. If you don't want to use vodka, you could use a clear extract instead of lemon juice.

Marianna46 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:15am
post #4 of 5

Yes, you definitely need to use alcohol of some kind as a medium. Here in Mexico you can get small amounts of what I know in the States as "Everclear", 96% pure drinkable alcohol. I've also used vodka and in a pinch tequila or rum (whatever's on hand when you're up against the wall for a delivery and you're out of the preferred solvents). I've also read here and other places that lemon extract has a high enough alcohol content to be used for the same purpose (and it probably smells the best of all of these!). The general idea is to dissolve your coloring in something that will evaporate in a flash, so that the paint doesn't soak into your fondant and ruin it. I've never tried painting on chocolate, but I imagine that something alcohol-based would be preferable to anything in water, because, for one, chocolate and water are deadly enemies and, for another, the fat content of the chocolate would make anything with water in it bead up, which alcohol doesn't, in my experience.

KBSB Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:58am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone, I haven't tried again for the past few years but will definitely try the suggestions. icon_smile.gif Sorry, it's taken me a few years to get back. I haven't had much time to get into decorating cakes for the past few years and haven't been on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%