Flowers

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm by yamber82

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #1 of 9

i am doing a wedding cake july 3rd and have to cover the tops of 3 tiers with roses. i havn't really done flowes yet and was wondering if i should do them out of just gp or fondant too? and does anyone have a good tutorial on the orse? i want it to look really good

8 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:50am
post #2 of 9

Tonedna has a great tutorial on youtube go to youtube and type TONEDNA in the search bar . It will come up with her stuff ...I would use gumpaste and start on them now they will keep forever so you can make them in advance.

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 9

In my experience, I prefer using only gumpaste for flowers, because I find gumpaste far more elasticity than fondant, thus enabling you to really work the petals and get gorgeous delicate looking flowers. Also, gumpaste holds shape better than fondant.
I haven't watched any online tutorials on roses...so sorry I can't help you there...but if I do come across any, I'll let you know.
Cheers!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:59am
post #4 of 9

This is the best tutorial I have seen so far: http://cakesbyfrancesca.com.au/videos/rosetutorial.wmv

I tried it and it really works well. Her method will work with a smaller 5 petal cutter as well.

If you look in my photos, I've got some roses I made using her tutorial. I didn't have a large foam pad with a hole in the middle, so I cut a square from a styrofoam plate and made a hole in it, to use to support the petals while putting the on the flower.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 9

Try the duff rose method in the template section on this site, quick and easy

yamber82 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 9

thanks guys! i was also just now wonering whether i should ad leaves or not. her theme is red white and blue so i am doing a white cake with red and blue roses and i don't know if the green in the flowers would throw it off.

and another thing about gp. if i am cutting a lt of small pieves to use for things like this than i like to roll out one big piece and cut them all out at one time but gp dried really fast. do i have to roll and cute between every flower? icon_sad.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks Interesting Post

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 9

I'd roll out a decent (not large) piece of gp and cut several petals out. While I'm working with the pieces, keep whatever you're not using covered with saran wrap or a large baggie and place and damp paper towel over the top of the plastic. This always keeps my gp from drying out too fast.

yamber82 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 9

yikes!!!! i just realized i on;y have cutters to make small roses and i need to make some veeery large ones. is there anywhere i can order them from to get hem overnight? i can't buy them in my area

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%