Diy Wedding Cake .. How To Frost The Dummy Tier

Decorating By AngelEyes26 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm by aswartzw

AngelEyes26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 8

Can I frost a styrophoam tier that will be the middle tier for a 3 tier cake with IMBC icing???? do I need to cover it in fondant first.. the cake will not be finished with fondant.. IMBC only.. but will it stand up indoors with 100 people in a firehall... not sur eif it is air conditioned>??

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 8

just go ahead and cover as you would your regular cake. If you are looking to reuse the dummy, then you would want to cover it with saran wrap 1st. Glad press and seal is good for this

AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

just go ahead and cover as you would your regular cake. If you are looking to reuse the dummy, then you would want to cover it with saran wrap 1st. Glad press and seal is good for this

So you are saying that the Itailian Meringue buttercream will not go soft or melt faster then the other two tiers if it is fake??
I can ice it and not worry when the cake it set out for the evening?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 8

well, frankly if the icing is going to melt off the cake it really won't matter if the cake is real or fake. It will melt if its too hot and with no AC depending on where you are located you might be okay you might not. But it shouldn't react noticeably different whether its on cake or stryo.

AngelEyes26 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:50am
post #5 of 8

Great!! Thank you! I was doing the dummy cake to make things easier.. I neve reven considered this as an issue until now.. so I am happy to not have anything more to stress about, and just look forward to the trip, wedding and cake!!

Thank you for your help

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 8

IMBC will fall off your cake at that temperature (dummy or not). I've heard of people subbing half Crisco into their IMBC when they use it on cakes at that temperature (Crisco has a higher melting point than butter). Or I think somebody on here uses Smart Balance for all the butter.

AngelEyes26 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

IMBC will fall off your cake at that temperature (dummy or not). I've heard of people subbing half Crisco into their IMBC when they use it on cakes at that temperature (Crisco has a higher melting point than butter). Or I think somebody on here uses Smart Balance for all the butter.

Oh no, don't tell me I am back to square one...lol I red in my book (DeeDee Wilson, her wedding cake book) that it will hold up ok, she uses it even otudoors???) I was goign to cover it in white chocolate fondant, but then after reading that I went back to icing as taht is what the bride wants??? I am confused again.. oh dear

What is Smart Balance???

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 8

Fondant will be perfectly fine (in fact, some people will only offer that in hot weather since BC can be so finnicky). My guess is you should be okay. I really don't know why the reception would not be A/C. But be sure you keep your cake as cold as possible in the house and freeze yourself out while transporting. Honestly, I'd be more concerned of decorations falling off the cake (borders, I've had that happen before).

Here's the info on Smart Balance. The crisco will simply make it a bit more stable.
http://www.smartbalance.com/BlendsFamily.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%