Need Help Fast!!

Decorating By AngelEyes26 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 4:14am by Misdawn

AngelEyes26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 20

I need to know ASAP, what to do....
I am very new to cake decorating. I have been hounding my local supply store with questions and feel terrible. Now I MUST finish a practice cake I am makign fo rmy best friends wedding, I am on a very tight schedule and the cake must be baked by tomorrow!!! I am using DeeDee Wilson's wedding cake book, and she is very specific and detailed which is why I am comfortable using it, this will be the second cake I am trying and it HAS to be the cake.. the first I got online. NOW, my question is,, she uses 2' depth pans for ALL of her recipes, I have 3" depth, and I really cannot afford to buy more, I am already lugging them on an aircraft as it is, one is my limit, how do I bake it if I really want 4 layers, two cut in half. DO I half her recipe for Two 6" rounds, and bake it in my pan twice??? I fell there is a simple explanation, I jsut do not have it????

SERISOULY confused!!!!!

Thanks for any help!!!

19 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 20

You've confused me! So you want a 6" round cake that has four one-inch thick layers, right?

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 20

I would do the two cut in half.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #4 of 20

ok..trying to do some math in my head here....lets see...if you triple her recipe (if at all possible), this should give you 3 layers when using your 3" cake pan. so you could doouble the recipe twice to make it easier on the mixer (lol) and end up with 4 layers and a few cupcakes...hehe. hope this helps somewhat.... icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #5 of 20

If you want four one inch thick pieces from a 3" tall pan, simply collar your pan with wax paper, and once baked torte in half and then torte each of those in half again. Voila!

AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:41am
post #6 of 20

I had no idea I woudl hear back already?? I am amazed.. I just finished askign another question and VIOLA..lol
Ok yes I want 4 1 " layers.. apx.. teh recipe called for the use of 2 6x2" pans, and I have 1 6x3" pan. She then tortes the two cakes made in the 6x2".

I can use wax paper to give height to my cake pan??? Will it still come out the same and keep shape for a wedding cake???

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:43am
post #7 of 20

I would just use your same recipe for batter as if you were using a 2" pan. Having a higher side shouldn't make a difference, at least it doesn't to me. So, bake it in your pan twice and then cut each layer in half....aka: torte the layers. You should have 4 very thin layers icon_smile.gif Hope that Helps!

Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #8 of 20

Yes you can use wax paper. I take a sheet of wax paper and fold it twice so that it is really thick. Then wrap it around the inside edges of your pan and secure with a metal paper clip. Make sure it stands up high enough above the rim of your pan (for your situation, it would need to be an inch above). Then fill with batter and bake as usual. A note to add, even though it is only a 6" pan and because it will be so thick, you will probably want to use an inverted flower nail as if it were a heating core while baking. This will ensure that the center of the cake gets done.

AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:51am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

I would just use your same recipe for batter as if you were using a 2" pan. Having a higher side shouldn't make a difference, at least it doesn't to me. So, bake it in your pan twice and then cut each layer in half....aka: torte the layers. You should have 4 very thin layers icon_smile.gif Hope that Helps!

When you say bake twice?? use the batter from the recipe I am given, and set some aside while one bakes??? Or cut the recipe in half??

Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:55am
post #10 of 20

I'm not familiar with the specific recipe, but if you are worried about wether it will be safe to bake one while the remaining batter sit, it should be ok since it will only be sitting for about an hour. You shouldn't have any problem doing it that way. But if you collar the pan like I suggested, you should only bake once and torte in half, then half again.

AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:55am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Yes you can use wax paper. I take a sheet of wax paper and fold it twice so that it is really thick. Then wrap it around the inside edges of your pan and secure with a metal paper clip. Make sure it stands up high enough above the rim of your pan (for your situation, it would need to be an inch above). Then fill with batter and bake as usual. A note to add, even though it is only a 6" pan and because it will be so thick, you will probably want to use an inverted flower nail as if it were a heating core while baking. This will ensure that the center of the cake gets done.

(Nice pic BTW)

Ok I am hesitant to try things like this because I have a tendancy to make a mess of things, but if you are suggesting that this is a more efficient way of doing it then trying to cut it in half then I can give it a try, I do need to know however, 1. will my cake still be the same texture or will it be firmer or dryer when made thsi thick. And 2. I also have to make a 12" round, shoudl I do the same ( I do have a baking core for this one)
I also want to hank you for the flower nail trick.. I only learned what a baking core was yesterday... good to know how to do it for a 6" if needed!! I also learned about cake strips and how to make my own!! Excited to try! (this is only my 4th cake ever, 1st wedding cake)

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #12 of 20

Is the 6 inch the only size you are making? I have just one 6x2 pan and put a parchment paper collar just last night! I like the way it works, but once I wasn't paying attention and the batter pushed the paper up and it spewed over the side! What a mess let me tell ya!!

AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

Is the 6 inch the only size you are making? I have just one 6x2 pan and put a parchment paper collar just last night! I like the way it works, but once I wasn't paying attention and the batter pushed the paper up and it spewed over the side! What a mess let me tell ya!!

I also have to do a 12" cake... and then a 9" dummy tier I do not know if I can ice with myIMBC icing and it hold up in the heat??? the rest will be slab cake pre-cut

Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:01am
post #14 of 20

I have done this many times, and trust me if it can make a mess I've done it! The trick is to make sure that your waxpaper is tall enough to go from the bottom of the pan up above the rim and up to where you want it. It is best not to try to make a cake more than 1 1/2" above the rim of your pan because your batter will not be 'set' enough at that point in the baking and the paper will bend over and batter will run out.

You can do the same for the 12" and definitely use either the heating core or two inverted flower nails (this is what I prefer.) Torting will be a bit more dificult due to the size, but it's not impossible.

AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:05am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

I have done this many times, and trust me if it can make a mess I've done it! The trick is to make sure that your waxpaper is tall enough to go from the bottom of the pan up above the rim and up to where you want it. It is best not to try to make a cake more than 1 1/2" above the rim of your pan because your batter will not be 'set' enough at that point in the baking and the paper will bend over and batter will run out.

You can do the same for the 12" and definitely use either the heating core or two inverted flower nails (this is what I prefer.) Torting will be a bit more dificult due to the size, but it's not impossible.

Great Thank you for your help!!! I will give it a try tomorrow, worst case I can let the batter sit out... I have never made this recipe before so I will not know if my thicker batter is any heavier then the thinner 2" cakes, or if the cake itself is heavy. Do you think the cake will be heavier if I bake it this way? It says it bakes for only 25 min when done in the 2" pan, so if raising this particular cake may jeopordise the light texture, then I am relieved to know I can have the batter sit and the baking soda won't loose any of its.... ummmm magic.. lol

AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #16 of 20

The dummy tier to make myself clear is the 9".. and I am not sure if my IMBC icing is ok to ue over it to decorate.. or if it will hold up to the heat??? If not, will covering it with fondant then decorating it make a dif.?

Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:07am
post #17 of 20

You will have to adjust your baking time because the cake will be thicker. The best way to judge it is to make sure the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Don't try to time it or eyeball it! Use the toothpick!

Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes26

The dummy tier to make myself clear is the 9".. and I am not sure if my IMBC icing is ok to ue over it to decorate.. or if it will hold up to the heat??? If not, will covering it with fondant then decorating it make a dif.?

I've never used dummies before, so I can't answer this question for you. Maybe someone else will know.

AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #19 of 20

Thank you soo much for all of your help. I can not belive how fast the reply was, I thought I woudl be waiting a day or two to find out, i was terribly distressed as I am crunched for time and my 2 yr old uses up what little extra I have as it is! I am very excited to do this cake I made my first IMBC tonight and also my first moistenign syrup and my first merignue discs.. lol everything seems fine, the discs I wont know til morning, i hd to make them thicker to use up all of the merignue, but we shall see!!! I absolutely LOVE cake decorating and started for my sons first birthday, I made 2 cakes for hsi 2nd!! lol I jsut wish I had more time to do them more often! Thank you again, I cannot stess enough how relieved I am to be able to get answers to my questions!!

FINALLY>. YOU TUBE AND GOOGLE ARE NOT MY ONLY SOURCE OF INFO.. I GET A REAL PERSON!!!.. lol!!! icon_wink.gif

Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:14am
post #20 of 20

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%