Seuss Cake...how Is This Done?

Decorating By heycake Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm by heycake

heycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #1 of 7

I hope it's OK to add a link to a cake posted here. If not please let me know and I'll take it right down.

Can you tell me how the top layers of this cake were done? I can't figure out how they made the white icing on the blue cakes look all puffy. It looks exactly like in the Dr. Seuss books. Is it just lots of fondant formed like that and then placed on the top or is the cake underneath carved to than shape? Maybe something else that I could never figure out? icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1311139

Thanks

6 replies
MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #2 of 7

I don't know but that is a cool cake!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 7

to me it looks like extra bc was put on the cake and the fondant formed around it to give it the puffed out look. did you try pm-ing the person who posted it?

heycake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #4 of 7

no I didn't PM the poster. I'm a little computer challenged sometimes icon_confused.gif I'll go see If I can figure out how to do that icon_smile.gif

heycake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #5 of 7

OK, I think I did it. Now I'll wait and see if I hear from them. icon_smile.gif

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 7

I don't know how they did it, but I can tell you how I would do it. I'd carve those poofy areas and then if it wasn't poofy enough maybe put two layers of fondant with the top layer a little larger than the bottom. Then I'd smooth it together. I'll be looking to see how they did it too. Such a fabulous cake. I voted for it in the "TOPSY-TURVY CAKE" contest!

heycake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 7

I was afraid it was carved that way. I've never done that and don't trust myself to figure it out on a cake for someone else.

Maybe I'll try it next time I make a practice cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%