Square Wedding Cake Sizing Question

Decorating By jennicake Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm by idjitmom

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 3

Hello,

I'm making a square wedding cake, and I'm wondering what the best sizes for each tier are. The cake needs to feed about 120 ppl (no other desserts, so the pieces need to be a decent size). I have an 8", 12" and 16" pan... but I'm a little nervous about the idea of removing a 16" cake from a pan... and working with it (torting, filling, etc).

Sooo... my question is... would a 8/10/12 inch cake look weird if each tier is only 2" smaller than the one below? Or is 4" the better way to go? I'm tempted to do 8/10/12 (or 6/8/10/12 because 8" sounds like a very large top tier) but could really use some advice. Thank you!!

Jenni

2 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:48am
post #2 of 3

I have done cakes with a 2" difference (the round one with the shells in my photos)
I thinks it looks fine.

I prefer to have a 3" difference in this case a 6"9"12", but 2" will be ok.

Your 8,12,16 configuration will give you way too much cake - almost 200 servings using Earlene's chart, and that chart is generous, using the wilton one will give you even more!!

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 3

Are they keeping/freezing the top tier? That would need to be taken into account when making the decision. I did a 6/8/10/12, it in my pics if you want to look. The only thing to keep in mind for just a two inch difference, is if your design includes putting any decorations on the tops of the tiers you won't have much room, just 1" all around. The cake I mentioned - the bride wanted off set tiers (it was square), & there was barely room to off set them just a bit and put a small pearl border on them. I would do just the 2" difference again if I had to, but would much more prefer a 3".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%