How Would You Go About This?

Business By mouse13 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm by mouse13

mouse13 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 9

I am just starting out, and I want to get my cake out there. I am thinking of having a "open house" cake tasting night. Do any of you wonderful cakers out there have any idea of doing this? Or is this just a really bad idea? I kinda want to just invite like realities and friends so they can get the word out. This is a really stupid idea huh?

8 replies
mouse13 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #2 of 9

No thoughts on this?

messy_chef Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:27am
post #3 of 9

There was a thread on this idea a few months ago if you can figure out how to search for such a thing. I've always thought it would be a neat idea. Maybe before the event, let people know that they will have an opportunity to get on your books first? Or have a raffle for a cake (so you can get back some of your costs)?

sheena Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:48am
post #4 of 9

If you belong to any club, you could make a cake and have them raffle it at one of the club get togethers/functions. This is one way for many people to see your work.

lildragon Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:53am
post #5 of 9

I think it's a great idea. I think the original thread was titled "Friday Night Cake Club" or something like along those lines. Having a party to get you and your cakes noticed, and to get some valuable feedback is NOT a stupid idea.

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:12am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildragon

I think it's a great idea. I think the original thread was titled "Friday Night Cake Club" or something like along those lines. Having a party to get you and your cakes noticed, and to get some valuable feedback is NOT a stupid idea.

The "Friday Night Cake Club" threads which you'll see every Friday, are where the people who are staying up late baking their cakes for Saturday post to keep each other company icon_biggrin.gif

mouse13 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:35am
post #7 of 9

Thank you all so much, and your right this isn't a stupid idea. I will post back once I have done my little get together on how well or bad it went. Thank you all again so much.

froglover Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 9

Do it thumbs_up.gif When we opened our shop in Oct. we quickly put together a cake tasting. We called in all of the troops (that being any friend or family that we could sweet talk into helping us) and we baked two 11X15 of each popular cake flavor. We also do homemade candies and dainties and such so we had a few of them too. We made multiple bags of diff kinds of icings too. Then we advertised a little but we were kinda rushed to do this while still moving into the shop. We offered something like 3 pieces (2x2x1LAYER) For $5 and 7 for $10 or 1 of everything for $15 (filled up 2 large to-go containers) I'm not sure if these #'s are exact but you get the idea. Anyways we did this for 12-5 on fri and 11-7 on sat. and out of prob. 16-11X15 and the diff candies we only had like maybe a whole cake and a half left all together. We gave them thier choices of cake in a to-go box and then they could choose which icing they wanted on which cake and they added that themselves. Some people were unsure so they'd ask us to put the icings on so we'd do caramel on the choc. and cream cheese on the strawberry and so on. It was very fun and interesting to see what all people liked, didn't like, had never had before etc. We were told we didn't charge enough but we were only trying to get our name out there and possibly make the money back we spent on ingredients. We did very well and are starting to plan on doing this again maybe next month we are thinking about having it be a semi-yearly thing. We learned a few things that will be helpful this next time: hardley anyone wanted to try the fillings. Some people like some of the cakes and came back and said give me 10 pieces and I want all of them the tres leches cake. We may have them fill out a questionairre about which ones they liked. We are also thinking about trying a couple of new cakes and get the customers opinion on them so that we may add them to our list. We have lots of tables and seating so people stayed to visit and this gave them time to look at our cake picts. This next time we will have more time to plan the event so we hope it will be bigger and better especially since we've gotten our names out there a little more. We will advertise a little more and maybe have other things going on like getting a local toy shop to have a disney character come since the owner loves our cakes and then maybe having a man have his bounce houses in the parking lot since he has had lots of our cakes too. This time we may offter milk instead of just cokes. I think we may have come in for a free slice of cake (that being the new cake to get the opinion on) and while your here why don't u try some others ones too. Look you've got me brain storming again, we had just decided last night to do it again. I'm looking forward to it. HTH sorry it's so long n scattered I was trying to make sure I told you everything. icon_lol.gif

mouse13 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you, you gave great detail in your response. Good luck on yours when you have it again. I like the questioner part to get what they really think about the cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%