Sugarshacks B/c....cant Find Recipe

Decorating By tirechic Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 2:17am by sugarspice

tirechic Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 20

I was doing a search for the recipe, and cant find it, is it under a different name? TIA

19 replies
tirechic Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 20

Just giving myself a bump.

-Tubbs Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #3 of 20

I don't use it, but maybe you have to buy the DVDs to get the recipe..?

Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:25am
post #4 of 20

I have the recipe for the 6 qt.

2 lb. 13 oz. shortning
6 lb. powdered sugar
5 Tablespoons flavoring
20 Tablespoons coffee creamer (heated)

Do you need the how to's too?

sugarshack Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:30am
post #5 of 20

Sharon's Crusting Buttercream:

** I make the following recipe to fill my 5 quart mixer. Adjust the recipe volume to fill your mixer properly as discussed in the video Perfecting the Art of Buttercream.

5 generous cups Sweetex shortening, or other brand of hi ratio shortening

5 pounds powdered sugar
4 TBS Wedding Bouquet flavoring (or substitute your flavoring of choice in the appropriate amount)
11-12 TBS hot coffee creamer liquid (as discussed in video)

Cream the shortening , flavorings, and hot liquid with paddle attachment until well combined and creamy. Then stream in first 3 pounds of powdered sugar with mixer running at speed one. When incorporated somewhat, stop and scrape down sides of bowl well. Stream in last 2 pounds of powdered sugar at speed one. When incorporated, turn the mixer up to speed 6 and let it beat for 5-7 minutes until very smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl very frequently while the mixer is going at speed 6. The goal is to get all of the icing down into the belly of the bowl and fill the bowl from side to side with no air gaps around the walls, as well as covering the paddle up to the springs. If the icing is making a sucking or "kissing" noise after all the sugar is in, add just a few drops more of liquid, while scraping down the sides,with the mixer running, until that stops. You should create a bowl full of icing side to side, where the paddle is completely submerged and beating in a vacuum under the icing. 5-7 minutes at speed 6 and you should have a smooth as silk and nearly airless icing. Cool before using. Keeps at room temp for weeks or fridge/freeze indefinitely.

Youtube clip of Sharon making icing:

Sharon's Chocolate Crusting Buttercream:

2.5 cups butter
2.5 cups shortening
Splash of vanilla
Dump in cocoa and mix all of the above till very dark brown (I do not measure it)
5 pounds powdered sugar streamed in
Coffee creamer liquid (as shown in DVD) in amount needed
Good at room temp for several days to weeks. Fridge or freeze also.

madgeowens Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:39am
post #6 of 20

can this recipe be cut in half?

Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 20

thank you Sharon! Are you going to have all the videos with you at ICES?

tirechic Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 20

OMG!!! Sharon replied to my post!!! I feel so special, thank you, thank you thank you. I have a 4 1/2 qt, so ill have to adjust a little. I have your videos on my list, and by the way your you tube clip is great, and you have really pretty hands. Thank you again. Off to make sugarshack b/c. woohoo!!

sugarshack Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 20

my hands are hrrid right niw; you should see them! LOL

thanks ya'll and

yes and

tee hee

Sassy74 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 20

Do y'all use the liquid coffee creamer? If I have the powdered, could I use that dissolved in water? What would be the ratio of water/powdered creamer? Thanks, all!

sugarshack Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #11 of 20

sassy, that is what I use, the powdered.

mix one part HOT water to one part powder and mix well.

Sassy74 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 20

Thanks so much, Sharon! I'll be trying this tonight!! By the're not interested in adopting an adult daughter are you??? LOL My husband and kids might not like it, but as long as I send a cake to them, they'll be OK. Just a thought...

sugarshack Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #13 of 20

Well, I have a teenage son that is drivng me crazy I might consider trading.....

luelue1971 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:11pm
post #14 of 20

Sharon's recipe (and Sharon) are the best. I did an experiment yesterday to see how well it held up in the heat.

It was 91 degrees and HUMID. I set a ball of cake scraps iced with this frosting and a big dollop of frosting on top of that and let it sit outside from 10 am to about 5 pm. And other than my cakes sliding the plate down the slide the frosting remain completly intact.

I kept going outside and mashing on it to see if it would melt and it didn't budge.

Sassy74 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #15 of 20

I made a batch in my 6 qt the other night as well, and really liked how it came out. It still had a little air in it (used Crisco, not hi-ratio?) after mixing on 6 for 7 min, but I'm using it today and I am sure I'll be able to smooth it out. It tasted great, which is the ultimate test for my husband! If he approves, I know I have a winner! What I love is being able to make a HUGE batch so that I'm not making several small batches to do a couple of cakes every weekend. I can't wait to see how this icing "behaves" later today!

sjmoral Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:13pm
post #16 of 20

I have the video and will get more in the future, it's excellent. I always have to put it on to see how to mix the cream powder and the hot water icon_redface.gif I should write it down next time LOL
I don't understand the one part explanation... sorry (1 cup to 1 cup??)

AuntieE Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #17 of 20

I don't have a stand mixer. Will I get the same results if I use a hand mixer?

Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #18 of 20

I just got a 20 qt. Hobart - I am going to try to make a big batch of this next week - I have gotten rave reviews - I am glad to hear it is holding up in the heat, the next wedding is July 4 - outside at the Columbus Zoo!

lolabunny7178 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #19 of 20

I did a cake for a friend today and due to vehicle issue's and not getting supplies in time, was running late with the cake. The cake was complete on time, but we did not have time for it to "sit" before moving. Although we did have far to go, the icing held up beautifully. It was 95 today here in north louisiana and the icing didn't skip a beat. It didn't slide and even the decoration stayed on the cake.

The only problem I have is i can make one batch and it comes out great, then turn around and make another one and it comes out less than perfect.
I'm not sure what i'm doing to it. But the recipe is great.

sugarspice Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #20 of 20

I have made this icing twice and love the smoothing ability of it. I have had some problems with it..
I think it feels grainy in the mouth. I mixed it long enough and the liquid was hot. But it wasn't a big enough batch to create a vacuum-would this be the problem??
I also noticed that it seemed to become a bit stiffer as it sat. I mixed it, but didn't use it until the next day. I re-whipped it, but it was definately stiffer than when it was originally made-more difficult to frost with.
So, what do I need to do?? Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%