Help Me Luster Users !!! ?shade Of Dust Is A True Rich Red?

Decorating By sadsmile Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 6:32pm by STRAWBERRY1390

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #1 of 15

I am looking a the reds and I don't know which to buy. I know sometimes colors come out better then they look in the pots and sometimes lighter then they look. My dilema is which CSA red to buy.

Cranberry Rasberry or Super Red?
Yeah super red should by name be the obvious one but looking at the pots of color on-line at fondant source .com the Super Red looks fairly pale while the Cranberry and Rasberry look extremely bright. But I want a real red NOT PINK. I wish I could just get them all and be done but my cart is already at my limit-so easily overdone. But you know how that is. Which ones do you have and what one should I get?

14 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 15

Cranberry is a little dark, actually, a touch...purple. Not REALLY REALLY purple, but it's not a true red, either. Raspberry is a little further than Cranberry.

sadsmile Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 15

thanks Verika sounds like I should go with the true red even though it looks light-just trust it because I don't want purply pink hues.

varika Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

thanks Verika sounds like I should go with the true red even though it looks light-just trust it because I don't want purply pink hues.

I have actually been finding that mixing them gives a richer color, so you could add a touch of cranberry to the super-red to get a nicer, brighter red...

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 15

I just went through trying a bunch of different things to get a true/red ruby and it simply doesn't happen. Cranberry gives the darkest yet still pinkish I could send a pic. Even when I dusted all these on different shades of fondant. Wilton ruby red online looks dark. In the jar looks light. On the fondant is PINK! Finally used ruby red fondant and airbrushed red sheen over it. Closest without pink. Super red luster is also pink. Burgundy and wine lusters were darker with a hint of purple. Rouge flambe was slightly orangish red but not red. Basically as soon as you add the element of luster/pearl to that color it lightens the shade. In this case pinkish. Which is pretty but not exactly what you are looking for!

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 15

I use sunflower brand and to be honest I used a 2 colors on my already tinted pinkish red 50/50 callas you can see them on my graduation disaster I used poppy red then went over it with cinnamon, tell me what you think to get it to luster i suppose you can use a brush that has left over super pearl on it and lightly go over the finished product.

Good luck and happy caking,
Stacy

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 15

I.S.A.C. (International Sugar Art Collection) made by Nicholas Lodge has a Red that is a true red. I made red roses using red gumpaste, and then dusted them with the Red dust and they were a true American Beauty Red... hth and good luck...

jillangel Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

I.S.A.C. (International Sugar Art Collection) made by Nicholas Lodge has a Red that is a true red. I made red roses using red gumpaste, and then dusted them with the Red dust and they were a true American Beauty Red... hth and good luck...

Is this a pearl or more of a petal dust. Red petal dust works great but no 'luster' to it. I would love to find one even if it is too late for the cake I am making I would keep it on hand!

sadsmile Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 15

I found some EG Shimmer dusts and they have RED it looks more true. Aside from the Red Disco Dusts..LOL Which I might go with.

varika Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillangel

I just went through trying a bunch of different things to get a true/red ruby and it simply doesn't happen. Cranberry gives the darkest yet still pinkish I could send a pic. Even when I dusted all these on different shades of fondant. Wilton ruby red online looks dark. In the jar looks light. On the fondant is PINK! Finally used ruby red fondant and airbrushed red sheen over it. Closest without pink. Super red luster is also pink. Burgundy and wine lusters were darker with a hint of purple. Rouge flambe was slightly orangish red but not red. Basically as soon as you add the element of luster/pearl to that color it lightens the shade. In this case pinkish. Which is pretty but not exactly what you are looking for!

...what color were you dusting it on? Because if you were dusting it on white fondant, then of course you're going to get pink. The stuff is like powder foundation--your natural skin tone still shows through. If you want it to be caked on thick enough to show the color of just the dust, you'll have to mix it with some extract or alcohol and paint it on. But if your fondant is already red or pink and you dust the color on, it's stunning.

You could also mix luster and petal dust without issue. Done that, too.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Is this a pearl or more of a petal dust. Red petal dust works great but no 'luster' to it. I would love to find one even if it is too late for the cake I am making I would keep it on hand!

It is a petal dust.. I wanted a realistic looking rose, without luster. The pearl would give more of a translucent color and not a deep red.

jillangel Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

...what color were you dusting it on? Because if you were dusting it on white fondant, then of course you're going to get pink. The stuff is like powder foundation--your natural skin tone still shows through. If you want it to be caked on thick enough to show the color of just the dust, you'll have to mix it with some extract or alcohol and paint it on. But if your fondant is already red or pink and you dust the color on, it's stunning.

You could also mix luster and petal dust without issue. Done that, too.

I was putting it on Ruby Red fondant. Colored with Americolor super red. It was very red fondant. I can't seem to add a pic into this post. I tried dusting them and painting them. No matter I was still getting a sheen of pink. Even faint I saw pink. I'll have to try mixing the petal and luster. What actually worked finally was airbrushing Americolor red sheen over the red fondant. The only thing that didn't look even slightly pink to me.

sadsmile Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #13 of 15

THe only other thing i can think of is using just a white pearl over a deep red but it may apear slightly pink also. I don't have an air brush yet but I bet the red shimmer is perfect.

jillangel Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 15

I am trying to add a pic by attachment. I threw out all the pinkish testers but you can see (even with bad lighting/bad camera) what shade of fondant I was testing on with the two I kept. The top is with confectioners glaze. The bottom is with airbrush red sheen. The shoes on the doll is cranberry (over white yes but when i has the tester on the red trust me it was pinker than the true red I was looking for). Picture that on the red fondant I was using though. When I painted it it seemed even more pink than just dusting. Let's hope I can get this pic on here.
LL

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 15

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=938 sunflower sugar art has a claret. http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=938&s=15 and a raspberry take a look on gsa

Good luck and happy caking,

Stacy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%