Stacking Book Question????

Decorating By txnonnie Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm by PinkLisa

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 12

Hi, I have another question. When stacking book cakes on top of on another am I using a board to spearate? My guess would be yes.

Will the top cake board hinder the bottom book cake in any way?

11 replies
txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #2 of 12

After further thought I realized the fondant will be dry enough to withstand another cake on top.

beckycrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckycrocker Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 12

I did a stacked book cake a few weeks ago. I used cake boards under the "book" before I wrapped it in fondant. It was 5 books high, and they were not stacked neatly, but kind of off set, and this really worked well for me.

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 12

I did the same, and it was easy for the customer to cut and serve one book at a time.

txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks, I was only doing two books for it is a small gathering for Father's Day. But I did want to try something new. I do not have time to purchase a impression mat, (would have to order) but I did want to texture the cover somewhat. As I was strolling through Hobby Lobby I came up with the idea of using upholstery leather, but they did not have what I wanted. I went to the fabric store and found a coulple different pieces on the remnants table that are going to work just great, at least I think they are.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 12

ohh
you guys read my mind.
Do they have square sps plates for books or do you just use covered cardboard in between the cakes??

txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 12

Wilton does make square plates, but I was just going to use cardboard for mine.

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 12

I used covered cardboard (same size as my books) so that it didn't show.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 12

I just make a cake of three stacked books each three inches high (a picture in in my photo section). I offset each book a bit so the corners hung over. Due to this I used 3/16" foamcore under each book to make sure the corners didn't sag. I did not cover the underside with fondant.

txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 12

I could see where the board would need to be the same size as your finished product since the under side of the cake is not covered in fondant.

One question....when you use foamcore board do you cover that with anything? I cover my cardboards with press n seal/plastic wrap as to help keep it from getting soft and so that it will lift easier from the bottom cake and not taking the icing.

txnonnie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 12

Just wanted everyone to know I made the cake this weekend. Turned out great. You can see it in my photos. Everyone loved the cake.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 12

I'm so glad everyone loved it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%