New To Cc!

Decorating By percussiongrrl Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 2:09am by percussiongrrl

percussiongrrl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #1 of 7

I'm new to CC, but I've already found a lot of great tips and tricks here! I'm really excited to learn more and try new things.

I have a couple questions, as I'm trying to get better at this whole cake decorating thing!

I've posted pictures of a few cakes that I've done. Here is my first question: I feel like my buttercream never gets smooth when I ice the cake. I was told to ice the cake and smooth it as much as possible with my spatula and then allow it 15-20 minutes to crust over and then roll it with a fondant roller. Sometimes it seems to make it worse and it never gets as smooth as I'd like. I use the Wilton Buttercream recipe, if that makes a difference!

Second question: I've done some MMF decorations and accents, but I've been wanting to do a cake totally covered in MMF. I see a lot of talk about Rolled Buttercream on here. I hate the taste of MMF, so that idea appeals to me a little more. What do you all recommend for a first try at a totally covered cake?

I think this is going to be the start of a severe addiction to this place!

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
JenWhitlock Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:43am
post #2 of 7

you will love it here, and you WILL get addicted!
I'm sure other's will chime in here, but SugarShack's (Sharon) DVD on buttercream is awesome.
apart from what you've already read, I would used a scraper or spatula larger than the height of the cake. make sure you are *way* loaded up with icing so that you scrape it away, scrapping the entire side top to bottom, if you have to go back you will likely get tool marks.
the biggest tip: practice, practice, practice and - no kidding - practice.
I use a merigue BC and fondant, never tried rolled BC so no help there.

happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

kbgieger Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #3 of 7

Welcome to your new addiction!! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm a Sugarshack convert - I highly recommend both her BC recipe and her smoothing techniques. You should be able to search for both her recipe and various threads regarding the her smoothing techniques. She has a really great series of DVD's as well.

Also, you may want to search for the Melvira method. Several people on here swear by this as well.

Sorry I can't really help with the rolled buttercream question - I've never done this. My cakes have always been either BC or fondant.

P.S. I finally made 100 posts!!! Yay me!!! icon_biggrin.gif

krissycupcakes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #4 of 7

welcome to your new home!!!!! your family will now be cakecentral widows!!!! my fiancee thinks im crazy on here but i like indidebis buttercream.ive never done roller bc. im sure we will be seeing alot of you around here!!!!!

Kaiah723 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 7

Welcome to Cake Central! You will quickly be addicted as the rest of us are! I just tried rolled buttecream on friday, a recipe I found on here. I followed the recipe and when I rolled it out and tried to lift it to put it on the cake it totally fell apart on me. Luckily it was a cake for my mom, nothing fancy, and I just wanted to try the rolled buttercream. I got it on the cake but it made the cake look very lumpy and it just looked like crap. I have the frosting in the fridge and it feels harder than it did when I used it so maybe the key is to refrigerate it for a while Im not sure as I am still new to a lot of these different techniques and recipes. I just recently started trying new recipes instead of just using box mixes and still have not perfected my buttercream. I dont know if anyone else out there has a good rolled buttercream recipe, the one I made tasted GREAT! It just did not work nearly as well as fondant and I am so glad it was just a cake for my mom and not something that was supposed to be neat and decorated nicely. HTH icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #6 of 7

Welcome to CC. I as well have never tried Rolled BC. If you don't like the MMF you can try MFF (Michelle Fosters Fondant). I use to ALWAYS use MMF until I tried MFF. WAYYYY better. I love it!!! As far as the smoothing of the BC...I totally am in agreement..practice, practice, practice....I make cakes just for practice and all I do is ice it....scrape it it....scrape it off. Sounds kinda redundant, but it works. I don't worry to much about the crumbs when I do this cause I'm just trying to get the technique more then anything, and I usually will not scrape it down THAT much icon_biggrin.gif You should have saw my first cake....and then one I make now. HUGE difference!! icon_biggrin.gif

percussiongrrl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:09am
post #7 of 7

I'm perusing the thread about SugarShack's icing. I so wish I could try it, but I'm a newlywed and we don't have the extra $$ for me to go after the sweetex and the flavoring. But I did print it for future reference! I may try mixing a huge batch of my wilton buttercream though, to try to keep out the air bubbles.

Also, I didn't realize I had to go change settings in order to get comments on my pictures, but someone (I forget who now?) was kind enough to message me and let me know. I've changed it and I would very much appreciate comments and constructive criticism. I've not been at this very long and I'd like to get better! I've also had people start asking me to do birthday cakes and the like, and I feel like I have to "up" my quality before I'm worthy of that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%