Need Help On A Wedding Cake And Grooms Cake....

Decorating By goddessa12 Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm by ptanyer

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 2

This is for my wedding reception this weekend,
I've got a 14 in cake that i've torted and filled... when i tried to put the second layer on it broke into some big hunks and tiny peices. I put it on by sliding my hands underneath the cake and trying to place it on the first layer. then my DH thought if he helped hold the third layer and tried to place it on the second(with four hands instead of two... and it broke and fell into the filling and basically ruined the whole thing.
I've never seen anyone do a big cake like this and none of the ways I'm doing it seem to be working.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions how they do it? I'm about ready to cry because I've worked so hard already and now have to redo one whole tier.... and I'm taking this to my family who is waiting to see me fail and refuse to let them be right.

Any help anyone can give me would be very much appreciated! icon_cry.gif

1 reply
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 2

When I do the large cake sizes I make the layers thinner and use them without torting. Instead of 2 layers I would have 3 thinner layers and fill and crumbcoat. I also don't use my hands to pick up the cakes. I have some flexible mats that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond and I slide the flexible mat under the layer I am working with and gently slide the cake off and onto the cake board, or the cake layer I am adding it to.

BTW - Wilton has a Cake Lifter that is a great tool to have. I actually have 2 of them and can slide one under each side and lift the cake and place it on the other layer. Use a coupon at HL, Michaels or AC Moore and can get it for almost 1/2 price.

Sorry you're having such a problem with the cakes. I know it can be frustrating. Especially when you can't repair the damage and have to start over. But remember that you can save the cake scraps and make cake balls and at least get something edible out of the broken cakes. They don't take much time and people just love them.

Hope that helps and that things get better for you! Don't let what your family thinks get the better of you!! Can't wait to see the photos!

Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%