How Do I Make Curvy Stripes W/fondant?

Decorating By AngelFood4 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 5:31am by AngelFood4

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 7

How does Duff do it? Can anyone tell me how to make similar, curvy, stripes like the one on Duff's cake? I love the look but don't know where to start or how to do it. Thank you!!!
LL

6 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 7

Wow that cake is awesome! It almost looks like it's painted fondant, though. Hmm, hard to tell. If it's not painted, then I have no idea how to do it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 7

I'm certain that those stripes aren't individually applied.

I'd cover the cakes with a fairly thick layer of fondant and then I'd use something(my choice would be the plastic PME small pizza wheel) to mark fairly deep curving lines, being careful to not cut all the way thru the fondant. I'd let the fondant dry and then paint it.

Rae

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 7

You would do it the same as if they were staight lines. I know there is a tutorial on youtube for the straight lines. They started with a base layer of fondant and then applied the stripes on to of it. You would cut they stripes in a wavy pattern to fit togther as you applied them. That is what the video showed. HTH

AngelFood4 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the tips! I may just try it both ways (painting and applying stripes) on a dummie cake first and see how they turn out. icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 7

be sure to post pictures....

AngelFood4 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:31am
post #7 of 7

Alas, I found a cake here that has a similar effect. Painted with lustre dust. thumbs_up.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=949523

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%