What's With The Soft Mff?

Baking By Sugarflowers Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 9:00am by ceshell

Sugarflowers Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 5

When it comes to making fondant there are a lot of things that can cause the fondant to be a mess. I have discovered why my fondant has been unusually soft. The CORN SYRUP that I use is much thinner than what I had used before. It's so thin, it's hard to tell that it's a syrup! This is causing otherwise perfectly made fondant to be so soft that it's impossible to use.

Now, I have not tried to adjust the recipe yet to compensate for the thinner viscosity of the corn syrup. I'm going to try to make it with 1/4 cup less corn syrup to start. This is just a suggestion, not necessarily a fix.

I am also going to try to find a good source of glucose. I KNOW that this will make a good fondant. However, it is expensive, harder to use, and much harder to find.

As I work with this new problem I will try to keep this updated.

Michele

4 replies
crazy4cupcakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 5

Thank you for the update Michele. I am just making your updated fondant recipe right now. I'm waiting for the mixture to heat up in the microwave icon_smile.gif

I'm glad that you brought up this topic as I've been using your original recipe for quite some time now and I've noticed recently that it has become really soft as well. I thought that it was perhaps due to the weather getting warmer here but I never associated it with the white corn syrup. Do you use the Crown Lily White Corn Syrup? It does seem more watery now compared to before!

Sugarflowers Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #3 of 5

I was using a generic brand but I checked Karo at the store and it was also thin. I have never tried Lily White, but that's because it's not available here (at least that I have seen).

I'm glad you saw this post before making some more fondant. It took me a while to figure out the problem. I have made several bayces that were much too soft even after kneading in a large amount of powdered sugar and even adding tylose. I've been making this recipe for more than ten years and never had the problems that I have recently.

The best to you.

Michele

Cookie4 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:50am
post #4 of 5

Michele have you contacted Karo and asked them if they changed the formula, much like Crisco did a year ago? I've noticed several products that I use have changed. Perhaps they can recommend a fix - good luck!

ceshell Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:00am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for posting this! So helpful (as always). You're sure you didn't accidentally buy the "Light" light corn syrup? I noticed that in the store...I thought it was kind of funny actually. Dark CS, Light CS, and then Light Light CS. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%