Confused About Freezing. . .

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm by kbak37

lrlt2000 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 5

I've read in various threads that some freeze and some don't. Those who do say it's actually good for the cake, claiming it makes it more moist inside, or that it firms the cake in order to ice a more sturdy surface, etc. On the other hand, in relation to BC and condensation, others say either not to freeze or that you have to be careful about thawing and bring to room temp before decorating.

My question is, if you are freezing and then bringing to room temp, how is that firming it up to work on it? Doesn't it soften back out by the time you are frosting it? If not, then won't you have the condensation issue once your icing is on and the cake thaws further?

What's the deal!? Is it that freezing is just appropriate for being able to bake ahead? Or is there an actual benefit to freezing?

4 replies
bashini Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I freeze cakes when I get really busy and I use quite denced cakes anyway. I always let my cakes come to room temperature before icing and decorating. And once I covered it with fondant, I don't put it back in the fridge.

Everybody gives their own opinions because those works best for them. So you need to find out what is best for you. Bake a cake and freeze and see whether you like the outcome or not. Experiment and see what's work for you.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sleeper713 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 5

I'd like to know the answer to this question, too. I've got a couple of cakes I need to have ready all at the same time if possible, and I would like to know if I cake bake, cool, crumb coat, freeze, thaw, and ice or apply fondant. Basically, can you freeze a crumb-coated cake?

jardot22 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

I freeze mine, then put them on the counter, fully wrapped to thaw. I don't remove the wrapping until it is completely thawed so that the condensation evaporates. Once they are thaw, they are more dense and more moist than when I don't freeze. To me it's just an added step that adds to the texture of my cake, but not a necessity.

sleeper713, You can freeze a crumbcoated cake - just make sure you wrap it well once the icing has crusted over, and then don't remove the wrappings until after it's thawed so that the condensation doesnt' affect your crumbcoat.

kbak37 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with jardot22. I never froze my un-iced cakes before..then once I did I will never go back! I use the same method she does. I haven't tried with crumb coated cakes yet, I only flash freeze with the crumb coat before fondant. If you have time, try it out and go from there. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%