One Cake Needed For Four Birthdays, Multi Father's Day

Decorating By BabyShea Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 1:21am by sweetcravings

BabyShea Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 13

I have been asked to make a cake for four different birthdays (men & women) and for four different fathers' -father's day all to be celebrated at a BBQ this weekend. I am thinking chocolate and white cake combo. Tiered 2 to 3 ...bottom square -top round. I am trying to think of a theme..figures, numbers, different theme per tier? Give me some ideas! I am VERY open minded and would love to try something new. Oh yeah...tiny detail...they want mostly buttercream. icon_rolleyes.gif

12 replies
Lcubed82 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #2 of 13

I am going to try a Topsy Turvy cake for multi purposes:
Bottom- 3 birthdays
Middle- 2 fathers and a dad2be
top- decorated for Mexico, DD leaves the next day for study abroad

I figured to just go ahead and make them all really different!

Doesn't answer your question, but thought it was interesting that we both need multi purp cakes!

kizzy_100 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:24am
post #3 of 13

I've got the similar predicament coming up this weekend -- 2 kids' birthdays, Father's Day, and a Bon Voyage (my BIL/SIL are moving out to CA next week; their kids' birthdays are the ones being celebrated).

My parameters?

Must be a small cake (nothing over a 1/4 sheet because MIL always makes a ton of sweets in addition for any event), and everything must be in buttercream or the kids won't eat it.

My first thought was to do a replica of her in-ground pool because that's where the kids spend most of their summer days. However, because of my work schedule, I'm not going to have time to do it. My other thought was a generic ballons/streamers/confetti on top with "HB Kid's Name" on the long sides and "Happy Father's Day" and "Have A Safe Trip" on the short side. Now I'm thinking that perhaps that's not enough...I don't know...

scgriffiths Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:03am
post #4 of 13

I made a birthday cake for 4 men once - they were all friends of my parents, and all turned 60 in the span of about a month. Mum asked me to make a big sheet cake, divide in 4, by using 4 different colours of buttercream, and each section had their name and little fondant figures, depicting their job (money for an accountant, welding helmet for a welder, etc)

grama_j Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:21am
post #5 of 13

WAY to many things going on there........How about just sticking with the BBQ theme ? Checkered tablecloth, food items including a tiny cake.....etc....

BabyShea Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 13

So glad to know I am not the only person with this predicament! I kinda like the BBQ theme idea, but the thought of making a checkerboard out of buttercream? I wonder if I did a basket weave for a table cloth if that would look ok... icon_cool.gif

grama_j Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 13

Can you make the tablecloth out of fondant, and just paint the checks on it with an edible marker ?

kizzy_100 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 13

One of my coworkers suggested a "hamburger cake" -- 2 8 or 9" rounds for the bun, chocolate frosting for the burger, with dollops of red, green, and yellow for the ketchup, lettuce, and mustard. I'm considering it, but I'm still thinking that I should acknowledge each occasion in some way (I know I could write along the circumference of the top "bun", but that somehow would detract from the cake itself, if you know what I mean).

BabyShea Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 13

Kizzy I love that idea! thumbs_up.gif What if I made a Burger with Buttercream and then made french fries/side items out of Fondant/Gumpaste and put their names/ages or something to that affect on the items? Another possibility would be sticking simple ages-whether plastic or fondant- in the top of the cake kinda like a restaurant would stick a toothpick in to label the product. The family has decided not to put the father's day theme onto the cake due to some family circumstances.

saffronica Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 13

If you like the burger idea, you should check out Bakerella's lastest post on hamburger cupcakes with sugar cookie french fries. She uses brownie rounds for the burger patties. You could do a similar idea on a full-size cake.

kizzy_100 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #11 of 13

Glad I could help, BabyShea! I'm still wavering between that and the hot-air balloon idea a friend came up with (hot air balloon run-out with "Have A Safe Trip" written on it, the Father's Day on the basket, and the kids' Happy Birthdays written on either side).

Now that I'm thinking, I'm veering toward the hamburger icon_smile.gif

kizzy_100 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:24am
post #12 of 13

Or -- and I just thought of us while looking at Bakerella -- one round yellow layer sliced in half horizontally for the bottom and top of the bun. One round chocolate layer for the hamburger. Jazz it up with yellow/red/green icing for the condiments. Ice the gold layers with buttercream tinted golden brown for more of a bun effect. Dots of vanilla buttercream for the sesame seeds...

sweetcravings Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #13 of 13

Ahhh my most frequent dilemma..making a cake for all sexes and ages..I get stuck designing the monthly bday celebration cake in our family. This is what i've done, was inspired by kathykakes...i made the cake reflect an interest of each person. Check out my photos and you'll see the cake i'm talking of ..three rows down, four over. HTH That month we had a man, two women, teenager..and a little girl for one cake.ugh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%