Sas, Dowels, Bubble Straws...!

Decorating By PennySue Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm by sillywabbitz

PennySue Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, here's what I'm wondering and although there are threads dealing with this issue, I've not seen this question here goes. Of the three, SAS would seem to be the most sturdy, but the pillars (or whatever they are) appear to be large. Don't they mess up the count by four pieces each tier? Maybe not a big deal for a two tier cake but for anything larger that can add up. My DH seems to think the bubble straws are the way to go and I myself have only used the heavy paper candy stick dowels.

Please, any advise would really be great. I have the largest tiered wedding cake so far coming up next month and I really want to be secure in its construction. Thanks soooo much.
P.S. The farm cake in my pics was done with the paper dowels. They held up a pretty heavy 10" and a barn.
Thanks again!

5 replies
kokopuff Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry, I can't answer your question,wondering the same thing myself but I am curious to know what are paper dowels,I saw on one of edna's tutorials where she was using cardboard dowels,or that's what she called them anyway,is that what you are talking about,aslo I have the largest cake I have ever made in about 4 weeks,I am excited and scared at the same time,maybe we can find out something together. icon_smile.gif

Tartacadabra Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 6

I wouldn't use them, because if you have to transport a cake or even they will just lift it to another table bubble straws give very little support. It's just fine it the cake stays at home but for a wedding cake I would never use it.

I always use the wooden ones of Wilton, they are not very thick or anything and hold up a lot of weight. For very large or hight cakes I take the plastic hollow ones of Wilton, they don't mess with the cake and are very very sturdy.

Good luck!

PennySue Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 6

Ok, here is what I did. I e-mailed Kerry Vincent. She suggested wooden dowels, and when I could afford them, the Stress-free cake supports. I called them and spoke to Arlene. What a sweet lady. Anyway, I ordered them and should have them by the end of the week. They look amazing!

tiggy2 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 6

The SPS is very similar to the SFS system at a fraction of the cost.

sillywabbitz Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 6

I have used SPS for a two tier cake a few times and honestly you don't loose that much cake. Maybe one bit out of the servings that hit the dowels. That said I'm sure Leah could give you a better idea on serving size. I agree that SPS is inexpensive and meant to be left at the reception site not returned...just charge a supply fee for the cake to cover your cost and shipping.

I'm sure the SFS will be great as well but I would definately want to get that thing backicon_smile.gif

In this forum there is a sticky post on SPS and lots of great information on how to use and how many tiers etc have worked with it. Good luck with your big cakeicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%