Nfsc But Want Chocolate

Baking By alvarezmom Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 11:57am by TracyLH

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 8

Okay I have made the NFSC before and every one loves them. I want to make chocolate ones....is there a recipe for that using the same NFSC base?

Thanks!

7 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 8

This is an easy and great tasting recipe from Cookie Craft by Valerie Peterson and Janice Fryer.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6959-Dark-Chocolate-Rolled-Sugar-Cookies.html

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 8

there's also a great recipe on the website that the NFSC recipe originally came from - I think it's kitchengifts.com

N2Cookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
N2Cookies Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 8

The recipe posted by Honeydukes is great tasting. I'm not a big chocolate fan but I actually loved these. Theu are easy to make and the expresso gives such a rich taste to the cookie; so rich it made me think of a great tasting brownie. One word of caution, I had a difficult time finding the expresso, but they are worth the hunt.

Honeydukes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:10am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

there's also a great recipe on the website that the NFSC recipe originally came from - I think it's kitchengifts.com

BB, I'm not sure that it matters to anyone, but the recipe isn't actually theirs. It came from a woman named Susan who offered it when someone asked for a non-spreading sugar cookie. It was in the newsletter years ago when they used to put them out regularly. I think, but I'm not certain, that it is the same Susan from Rolling Pin.

Medaglia d'oro is a popular brand of instant espresso powder. You'll find it with the coffee. It's a tiny little jar with a green lid.
http://www.medagliadoro.com/products.htm

You can also order it from King Arthur Flour.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/espresso-powder-2-oz

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Quote:

BB, I'm not sure that it matters to anyone, but the recipe isn't actually theirs. It came from a woman named Susan who offered it when someone asked for a non-spreading sugar cookie. It was in the newsletter years ago when they used to put them out regularly. I think, but I'm not certain, that it is the same Susan from Rolling Pin.

Interesting... I didn't know that. It's also almost exactly the same as a Martha Stewart rolled cookie recipe, too.

Honeydukes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Quote:

Interesting... I didn't know that. It's also almost exactly the same as a Martha Stewart rolled cookie recipe, too.

She specifically called her recipe a "no fail" recipe and I think Lesley then titled the recipe in the newsletter a No Fail Sugar Cookie. I'll have to pull that folder out and look for it. Toba's is basically the same, too but with less BP.

Recipes are all so very similar -- that's why you can't copyright a list of ingredients. You can only copyright a set of specific instructions. It's why everyone comes up with unique ways to say "Cream the butter and sugar." icon_lol.gif

It bugs me that Kitchen Collectables doesn't give credit for many of the recipes. The Mocha cut-outs for example are from a BHG Christmas magazine -- they are fabulous if you haven't tried them.

There was a discussion about cutters and someone (can't think of her name) "won" their cutter contest with her fast food fries design. She got a free cutter. The problem was she submitted several drawings -- they used them all and continue to sell them, but they refused to give her any credit or free cutters of her other designs. They make beautiful and unique cutters (I own a bunch) but IMO they don't seem to be nice people.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:57am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

The problem was she submitted several drawings -- they used them all and continue to sell them, but they refused to give her any credit or free cutters of her other designs.

I am so sorry to hear that. Credit should go where credit is due for recipes or designs. That is just wrong. I understand that she submitted them, but credit should be given to the designer (or at least a free cutter of her design.) Goodness, how much are they going to make off of her? That is just a shame. I saw the french fries design and it is really cute. If had they had treated her better, she likely would have submitted even more great designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%