What Do Most Of You Do For Strawberry Filling?

Decorating By mariak Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 11:57am by springlakecake

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 36

I have been asked to do a wedding cake with strawberry filling and it will be the first time for me. I was wondering what most people's stawberry filling is like. I was at a cake store that sold filling and it looked like plain strawberry glaze with no strawberries in it. I was looking at the recipees here and they all have strawberries in them, fresh or frozen. What is the most common, or more importantly, best liked? Does anyone have any tips also to make filling easier with the least chance of leaking out? Thanks!

35 replies
panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 36

If it doesn't have to be in frig I tell them strawberry jam. If they have space to keep in frig, then I tell them whipped cream with fresh strawberries. It just depends. I think if your going to make a straw for a wedding a mousse sounds good. I guess it a bit fancier than a jam or a glaze, you usually see that a b-day party.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 36

I haven't done one, so I will give you a bump.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 36

I take a small jar of seedless s'berry jam...nuke it for about a minute and pour into a bowl with a small package of strawberry jello. Stir until combined real good. I put back in the frig to set up a bit and get the consistancy I want becuase at this stage, it is too thin for me. Another option is to buy a box of instant cheesecake jello and add 2 c. of whipping cream and blend until a mousse consistancy. I pop in the frig for a day. When I'm ready to use it, I combine with some fresh strawberry chunks. Both are yum!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 36

I used the sleeved filling and it works great. It doesnt' soak into the cake and customers like it. It's not "jelly-like" (which I hate).

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 36

I use the sleeved filling also. Sometimes they'll ask for fresh cut strawberries on top of the filling if their in season.

Its yummy.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 36

i use the sleeve filling also. Not the glaze one, there's another one which has pureed bits of strawberries in it.

mcollins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcollins Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 36

I've added seedless strawberry jam or preserves to my buttercream before, it's really yummy. Also have added strawberry nesquik to my buttercream, it's even yummier.

I've tried adding strawberry extract to my buttercream, it's not good.

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 36

Thanks everyone! Were can you get the sleeved filling? Is it at the grocery or do I need to get it at a cake store?

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 36

I just made a cake with strawberry filling. I mixed strawberry jam and BC together and added a little strawberry essence to intensify the flavour, it was yummy.

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 36

I just buy a jelly or jam or preserves that I like the taste of and use that for filling... I might start adding it to buttercream since so many wonderful bakers on here do that../.. but if I'm in a hurry or just want it to be simple I just use plain old jam.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 36

I saw on Cake Boss where they spread a layer of chocolate ganache and topped it with fresh strawberries. You could use white chocolate if the bride wants a white/pink filling.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcollins

I've added seedless strawberry jam or preserves to my buttercream before, it's really yummy. Also have added strawberry nesquik to my buttercream, it's even yummier.

What about the Lorann Strawberry oil? Do you think that would be any good in the buttercream? Someone has ordered a strawberry cake, but does not want strawberries in the cake or icing, but requested a strawberry icing icon_eek.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcollins

What about the Lorann Strawberry oil? Do you think that would be any good in the buttercream? Someone has ordered a strawberry cake, but does not want strawberries in the cake or icing, but requested a strawberry icing icon_eek.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #15 of 36

If you have a local cake shop, they should have the sleeve fillings. I get it at countrykitchensa.com, globalsugarart.com, or fondantsource.com - depends what else i need to buy at the time! icon_smile.gif

I've tried mixing jam into BC and wasn't thrilled with the result. It never really mixed together. and didn't look that pretty. Any tips?

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 36

When I use a strawberry filling, I make SMBC and then I add some of the strawberry sleeve filling. Tastes like strawberry icecream! Its usually a big hit.
Lori

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohnlo

When I use a strawberry filling, I make SMBC and then I add some of the strawberry sleeve filling. Tastes like strawberry icecream! Its usually a big hit.
Lori

Exactly what I do except I use strawberry jam! Super yummy and never runny.

mcollins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcollins Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #18 of 36

DeeDelightful, I've never tried the Lorann oils. . . would be worth a try.

Beachcakes, I've mostly used preserves with buttercream. You're right, the jam does not incorporate as well in my experience but I have used it. I've used strawberry, raspberry preserves a lot and they have always mixed in nicely.

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:50pm
post #19 of 36

I make mine from frozen strawberries. Large pot, add frozen strawberries 2 tablespoons corn starch, a cup of sugar and about 1/4 of water. Bring to a boil. You can either mash the strawberries down or leave them especially if you get the sliced frozen strawberries.

Everyone I have made it for says it's the best strawberry filling they have ever had. I think it's pretty darn yummy.

I don't like the sleeve filling. It tastes very commercial to me so I make my own. It's personal preference.

Barb

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbydoll8

I make mine from frozen strawberries. Large pot, add frozen strawberries 2 tablespoons corn starch, a cup of sugar and about 1/4 of water. Bring to a boil. You can either mash the strawberries down or leave them especially if you get the sliced frozen strawberries.

Everyone I have made it for says it's the best strawberry filling they have ever had. I think it's pretty darn yummy.

I don't like the sleeve filling. It tastes very commercial to me so I make my own. It's personal preference.

Barb

Hi Barb ~ I tried just this thing recently - but it just wasnt thick enuff for me (but was exactly the right taste! It was delish!) - How long do you cook it?? Im thinking maybe I should have cooked it down more??

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:55pm
post #21 of 36

I just submitted a white chocolate strawberry ganache that I whipped and used for a filling ...... it is soooo good..... I'm getting rave reviews, so I'll for SURE be using that one !

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #22 of 36

i usually buy strawberry preserves or jelly and spread it and on top I put fresh strawberries and costumer love it. I usually do this with a vanilla or yellow cake.

GayeG Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

I just submitted a white chocolate strawberry ganache that I whipped and used for a filling ...... it is soooo good..... I'm getting rave reviews, so I'll for SURE be using that one !

I saw this just a few minutes ago - and saved it immediately!! Cant wait to try it - 2 of my fav things .. white chocolate and strawberries!! YUM-O!
Thanx for sharing that grama_j!

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:35pm
post #24 of 36

Gaye G-
I usually let it bubble a good 10 min. Just like any good rue, the longer the boil, the thicker it becomes.

You could also try cutting the sugar back by about 1/4 cup and adding some kayro syrup to help thicken it up.

Barb

GayeG Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:45pm
post #25 of 36

Thanx Barb! I had a feeling that maybe I didnt cook it long enuff .. since the process is pretty much like when I make homemade jams & jellies ... I WILL be trying this one again!! I just dont care for the whole "heat up the jelly" filling or the jello - no offense to those who do of course - I just dont care for it ...
Thanx again Barb!! And thanx for the OP who started this thread - it's helped me ALOT!! =}

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #26 of 36

I ave tried the preseves with the jello and it soaked into the cake and did not look nice when it was cut.
I have also tried the sleeve filling which I don't like that much either. It didn't soak into the cake but it reminds me of what bakeries fill their donuts and sweet rolls with. I am sure that is what they use - tates just like it.
I am going to try barbydoll8's recipe - sounds wonderful!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:05pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbydoll8

Barb

This is a pretty old thread, but how much strawberries do you use?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #28 of 36

I have made it all these ways. all are very good. I do love adding it to smbc or imbc.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #29 of 36

I'm getting some great ideas here, thanks! And I wasn't even looking for a strawberry filling! Are the "sleeves" of filling the ones in long clear tubes?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:48pm
post #30 of 36

What about adding the sleeved strawberry to Rich's bettercream? It would be shelf stable doing it that way too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%