Decorating A Cheesecake

Decorating By kurrie Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm by JodieF

kurrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurrie Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 16

Hello all! I have someone that wants the Boston Red Sox logo on a cheese cake. My first thought was to cover the cheese cake in fondant and decorate it from there but after doing some searches I found fondant and cheese cake don't really get along! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Kari

15 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 16

I've seen other questions like this posted & I'd love to know if anyone's tried it.

Otherwise, I think using colored piping gel would hold up best.

Good Luck!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 16

One time I made a cheesecake w/ a big decorated sugar cookie placed on top. I wish I had a picture.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 16

Would an FBCT of the logo work on cheesecake?

JasonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasonR Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 16

Using buttercream would also work. You just need to get your outline of the logo on first then fill in with colored buttercream. Some may not like something as sweet and rich like buttercream on a cheesecake but it will work for the design and some actually do like the taste.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 16

since frosting doesn't really go with a cheesecake, would an edible image work or colored chocolate?

dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 16

I believe this website uses chocolate paper of some sort:

www.elegantcheesecakes.com

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 16

I made a cheesecake for my DD birthday and I covered it in dark chocolate ganache, then decorated it with white icing...went with a brown & white theme. It was yummy.

kurrie Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks for the replies. Do you think it would work if I made the logo from fondant and allow it to dry then just lay it on the top instead of covering the whole cake?

kurrie Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 16

OK so I decided to go with the fbct. Keep your fingers crossed! I will post pictures when it is done.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:16am
post #11 of 16

I made this one.. It is a baked NY style cheesecake, I made a dam around the top rim and filled with cherry filling then topped the cherry filling with cream cheese icing. Refrigerated overnight..I then covered it and decorated with MMF. The fondant was put on about 30 min before the party and the cake was all eaten within an hour so there were no refrigeration issues with the fondant.. although I have refrigerated one with the fondant on it (the leftovers) with no problem.
LL

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:03am
post #12 of 16

JamieAnn - that is adorable! Glad to see we can use fondant on cheesecake, I think I'll be doing something like this very soon icon_biggrin.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 16

I worked in a cheesecake bakery and we always did just a bc type of icing on our cakes because they had to be in the fridge and it was easier than trying to do fondant. I don't know her recipe but my boss would make this amazing cream cheese almond icing that worked like buttercream. It was amazing. Wish I had that recipe.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #14 of 16

instead of buttercream, have you thought of doing a cream cheese icing instead for your FBCT?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 16

How about whipped cream? I like to use whipped cream because adding buttercream will just make it taste like you don't want another peice. Whipped cream isn't overpowering and very light.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #16 of 16

I decorate cheesecakes all the time....you can do whatever you want!

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%